"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank you for posting this recipe, Kay. It sounds delicious, and it kind of reminds me of the Granny Pineapple Cake recipe you posted recently, and was that ever good.

I'll have to check and see if I can still get fresh picked peaches from the local farm stand - if so, I'm good to go on making this!

It does remind me of the same kind of idea with the Pineapple Cake Cheryl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I’d really like to try this recipe out, but with apricots. I’ve never really liked peaches, or most any fruit with a stone. Except apricots.

I think it would be great with apricots Joel, providing you can find some that smell like apricots. I love apricots too, but I haven't sniffed any that smell like apricots for many years. They smell like nothing, so they taste like nothing.
Hope you have better luck, at a farm stand maybe. By the way, you'll need about 1lb. of apricots for the cake.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

By the way, I've done this cake with nectarines too. The plus side is you don't need to peel them, or the apricots.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It does remind me of the same kind of idea with the Pineapple Cake Cheryl.

I think it would be great with apricots Joel, providing you can find some that smell like apricots. I love apricots too, but I haven't sniffed any that smell like apricots for many years. They smell like nothing, so they taste like nothing.
Hope you have better luck, at a farm stand maybe. By the way, you'll need about 1lb. of apricots for the cake.
Thanks for the info about apricots. I haven’t bought any in a while (for myself, any way), I didn’t know the quality of grocery store fruit had so degraded! And thanks, too, for the amount info.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Thanks for the info about apricots. I havenít bought any in a while (for myself, any way), I didnít know the quality of grocery store fruit had so degraded! And thanks, too, for the amount info.
Just idle speculation - I wonder if you could use dried apricots? You'd have to soak the of course if they are the old-fashioned sort and drain them well. The ones that you don't have to soak may work without soaking if you have then over there.

As I say, this is pure speculation - I HAVEN'T TRIED IT!!!
Old 08-12-2018, 11:43 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I made this cake today and we each had a piece tonight for our dessert.

Really tasty. Thanks, Kayelle. It will probably be breakfast too.

Note: I used frozen peaches. The peaches available around here are never very good so I figured peaches frozen at the peak of ripeness would be better. They tasted good once thawed so I think it's a win. I'm not saying they're a match for fresh, ripe, juicy peaches but they made a tasty cake.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:25 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the revue Andy, and I'm glad you both liked it. If frozen peaches work, it's really good to know. I made it once with canned peaches and it was just "ok".

Old 08-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Thanks for the revue Andy, and I'm glad you both liked it. If frozen peaches work, it's really good to know. I made it once with canned peaches and it was just "ok".
Kayelle, I'm sure it's better with fresh ripe peaches but it's really good with the frozen. Now i'm thinking what other fruits I can use to make this cake...
Old 08-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy, I'm wondering how it would be with mixed berries? Maybe not enough structure with berries on second thought. I've done it with nice ripe nectarines also.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Gahhh...how embarrassing. I do actually know the difference between "revue" and "review". A pox on the timed edit button...

Old 08-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Gahhh...how embarrassing. I do actually know the difference between "revue" and "review". A pox on the timed edit button...

Oh, I thought you were referring to my singing and dancing with a huge cast of back up dancers.

Tags
cake, peach