Fresh Peach Cake (revised edition)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Kayelle
Here's the cake recipe folks. I made some changes from the original one I posted long ago.

Fresh Peach Cake :yum:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9x13 pan
2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
3 eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
5 medium size fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a large bowl, whisk together the first four ingredients. With a hand mixer, blend in the eggs, sugar and oil. Fold in the sliced peaches and nuts. Pour into the prepared 9x13 pan and bake for 40-45 min.

While the cake is baking make the Vanilla Butter Sauce:

1 stick of real butter (salted)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated canned milk (the small can)
1 tsp. high quality vanilla

Bring all but the vanilla to a boil, and simmer for 3 min. Add the vanilla.

Slowly spoon the sauce all over the only slightly cooled cake.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream on top.

Thank you Kay. This sounds wonderful. I wish I could pick ripe peaches. Either they are to soft and bruised (not very appealing) or hard as a rock and never get soft (I put them in a paper bag and they still don't ripen). Can I substitute frozen unsweetened sliced?
What variety of nuts do you use?
Did you post a picture that I missed? :ermm:

MsM, I got a bag of really tasty peaches at Trader Joe's a few days ago. As you likely know, "If they don't smell like peaches, they won't taste like peaches.." said my Dad the green grocer. I made it once with canned peaches and it was less than memorable. This shines as a fresh peach cake.

I've used pecans, walnuts, or sliced almonds. All are good, but I really love the almonds.
Sorry, no pictures, but it's not a pretty cake, if that's important. ;)

MsM, I got a bag of really tasty peaches at Trader Joe's a few days ago. As you likely know, "If they don't smell like peaches, they won't taste like peaches.." said my Dad the green grocer. I made it once with canned peaches and it was less than memorable. This shines as a fresh peach cake.

I've used pecans, walnuts, or sliced almonds. All are good, but I really love the almonds.
Sorry, no pictures, but it's not a pretty cake, if that's important. ;)
If "pretty" was a rule, I'da stopped making cakes after my first dozen.. :wacko::ROFLMAO:
Ross

Thanks Kayelle. Over the weekend, dh and I took a road trip to Abiquiu, Georgia O'Keeffe's stomping grounds, and stopped at an orchards' road side stand on the way home. Even though I knew this would be a silly exercise, I just sniffed the 8 large peaches that I have guarded since we got home...what a divine aroma. The apricots smell divine too. The cherries and plums have disappeared.

Looking forward to making this cake!

Thanks Kayelle. Over the weekend, dh and I took a road trip to Abiquiu, Georgia O'Keeffe's stomping grounds, and stopped at an orchards' road side stand on the way home. Even though I knew this would be a silly exercise, I just sniffed the 8 large peaches that I have guarded since we got home...what a divine aroma. The apricots smell divine too. The cherries and plums have disappeared.

Looking forward to making this cake!

I can almost smell them from here Beth! The smell of of good peaches is right up there with the great food smells of the world..like bacon. :pig:

Thank you for posting this recipe, Kay. It sounds delicious, and it kind of reminds me of the Granny Pineapple Cake recipe you posted recently, and was that ever good. :yum:

I'll have to check and see if I can still get fresh picked peaches from the local farm stand - if so, I'm good to go on making this!

I’d really like to try this recipe out, but with apricots. I’ve never really liked peaches, or most any fruit with a stone. Except apricots.;)

Thank you for posting this recipe, Kay. It sounds delicious, and it kind of reminds me of the Granny Pineapple Cake recipe you posted recently, and was that ever good. :yum:

I'll have to check and see if I can still get fresh picked peaches from the local farm stand - if so, I'm good to go on making this!

It does remind me of the same kind of idea with the Pineapple Cake Cheryl.

I’d really like to try this recipe out, but with apricots. I’ve never really liked peaches, or most any fruit with a stone. Except apricots.;)

I think it would be great with apricots Joel, providing you can find some that smell like apricots. I love apricots too, but I haven't sniffed any that smell like apricots for many years. They smell like nothing, so they taste like nothing.
Hope you have better luck, at a farm stand maybe. By the way, you'll need about 1lb. of apricots for the cake.

Last edited:
It does remind me of the same kind of idea with the Pineapple Cake Cheryl.

I think it would be great with apricots Joel, providing you can find some that smell like apricots. I love apricots too, but I haven't sniffed any that smell like apricots for many years. They smell like nothing, so they taste like nothing.
Hope you have better luck, at a farm stand maybe. By the way, you'll need about 1lb. of apricots for the cake.
Thanks for the info about apricots. I haven’t bought any in a while (for myself, any way), I didn’t know the quality of grocery store fruit had so degraded! And thanks, too, for the amount info.

Thanks for the info about apricots. I haven’t bought any in a while (for myself, any way), I didn’t know the quality of grocery store fruit had so degraded! And thanks, too, for the amount info.
Just idle speculation - I wonder if you could use dried apricots? You'd have to soak the of course if they are the old-fashioned sort and drain them well. The ones that you don't have to soak may work without soaking if you have then over there.

As I say, this is pure speculation - I HAVEN'T TRIED IT!!!

I made this cake today and we each had a piece tonight for our dessert.

Really tasty. Thanks, Kayelle. It will probably be breakfast too.

Note: I used frozen peaches. The peaches available around here are never very good so I figured peaches frozen at the peak of ripeness would be better. They tasted good once thawed so I think it's a win. I'm not saying they're a match for fresh, ripe, juicy peaches but they made a tasty cake.

Thanks for the revue Andy, and I'm glad you both liked it. If frozen peaches work, it's really good to know. I made it once with canned peaches and it was just "ok".

Thanks for the revue Andy, and I'm glad you both liked it. If frozen peaches work, it's really good to know. I made it once with canned peaches and it was just "ok".

Kayelle, I'm sure it's better with fresh ripe peaches but it's really good with the frozen. Now i'm thinking what other fruits I can use to make this cake...

Gahhh...how embarrassing.:blush: I do actually know the difference between "revue" and "review".:LOL: A pox on the timed edit button...

Gahhh...how embarrassing.:blush: I do actually know the difference between "revue" and "review".:LOL: A pox on the timed edit button...

Oh, I thought you were referring to my singing and dancing with a huge cast of back up dancers.

Back
Top Bottom