Frosting for lemon cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mj1

Cook
Other than lemon, what flavor of frosting would go on a lemon flavored cake?

Or, what flavor of cake would go best with cream cheese flavored frosting?

I got a birthday boy (old man, actually) who likes lemon and cream cheese. But I don't think those two flavors go together for a cake.

Lemon cake I like a pudding frosting on it or even just cool whip.
Lemon cake I would use vanilla pudding

FLUFFY PUDDING FROSTING
1 c. cold milk
1 (4 oz.) pkg. Jello instant pudding, any flavor
1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip, thawed
Pour milk into bowl. Add pudding. Mix with mixer, about 2 minutes. Blend in Cool Whip. Frost cake, cupcakes, etc. Keep refrigerated. (You can also add 1/4 cup of powdered sugar after pudding mixtureif you want it sweeten more)

cake has to refridgerated

DH and I made a lemon cake and used orange cream cheese for the filling. It was good. Nice and citrusy... add some orange zest for some added texture too. You might also try lime.

A cream cheese frosting, like the kind usually associated with carrot cake, would be perfect on a nice lemon cake, IMHO.

I agree. Cream cheese frosting would nicely complement the lemony flavor. You could even add some lemon zest to the icing to make it work better.

Most often with a Lemon Cake all I do is make a lemon juice and sugar slurry, poke holes in the warm cake and then pour the slurry over top and put it back into the warm oven for a few minutes. It looks like a nice glaze and has a real zip to it.

I recently began experimenting with the family buttercream frosting recipe. I wanted a different color and flavor so I added 1/4 to 1/2 pkg of unsweetened cherry koolaid. It was pretty tasty. Later I thought a lemon cake with lime frosting would be tasty.

A cream cheese frosting, like the kind usually associated with carrot cake, would be perfect on a nice lemon cake, IMHO.

So would something like a Betty Crocker cream cheese frosting work? I don't think I'm going to have time to actually make anything. I'm running two days behind because I had to fix my aunt's DSL problem. :rolleyes: Whenever she loses her internet connection she goes crazy. It's really very sad.

So would something like a Betty Crocker cream cheese frosting work? I don't think I'm going to have time to actually make anything. I'm running two days behind because I had to fix my aunt's DSL problem. :rolleyes: Whenever she loses her internet connection she goes crazy. It's really very sad.
BC has some tasty frostings, just get one you feel will be enjoyed and you will be fine. It's the thought that counts.
kadesma:)

I don't use anything from a box if I can help it, and cream cheese frosting is super easy to make. Here's the icing recipe from a carrot cake:

CREAM CHEESE ICING:

1 (250 g) package Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
¼ cup butter (½ stick), melted
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon peel

Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl with electric mixer until well blended. Gradually add sugar, juice and peel, beating until well blended after each addition. Spread on top of cooled cake. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.

I made lemon cup cakes last Fourth of July and iced them with pink peppermint icing. It was good, reminded me of the lemons with a peppermint stick in them that they served at the fairs many years ago.
C

If you don't want to try the lemon cake with cream cheese frosting on it, you could always do a simple glaze with lemon juice and lemon zest. Just a thought......

hmm...maybe lime cream cheese frosting on lemon cake :D , so i just now googled a recipe for

key lime cream cheese frosting

Ingredients:
4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon key lime juice
food coloring, optional

Directions:
In a large bowl, beat together all ingredients until well blended. Frost on cooled cupcakes or cakeIngredients:
4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon key lime juice
food coloring, optional

Directions:
In a large bowl, beat together all ingredients until well blended. Frost on cooled cupcakes or cake

lemon is my favorite flavor. lemon cake with cream cheese is the bomb. also am going to try cream cheese and marshmallow fluff on one. i know it is wonderful for taste. want to see how it hold up.

Back
Top Bottom