Frosting/presentation aside, Is there a difference in a wedding cake vs regular cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't believe there is a special "Wedding Cake" recipe. A wedding cake can be a lot of different types of cake.

Wedding cakes are made from scratch and will not be the same as a cake mix.

Traditionally in Australia, England and quite probably New Zealand, a wedding cake was a rich fruit cake, decorated with royal icing. It needed to be something that would keep well as not only would it be made months in advance for the flavour to develop (without the icing - that was only a few days prior), but it also needed to be able to reserve a tier for the birth of the first child. It also needed to be firm enough so that young unmarried girls could put a piece of wedding cake under their pillow so that they could dream of their future grooms. The cake also needed to be rich enough so that guests would only require a small piece of cake.

A regular cake does not need to have the keeping (or sleeping) ability. The fruit cake would be laced with alcohol, just like a Christmas Cake, while not all regular cakes would be treated so. Nothing very perishable in a traditional wedding cake.

I think if you had archaelogists do a study, you would probably find pieces of wedding cakes going back centuries - and they would still be edible!!!!! ROFL

These days a wedding cake depends on your background, your tastes, the size of your reception and whimsy.

My sister's wedding was in November and there was a couple of amazing things that happened with respect to wedding cake.

First off, I'd say that yes, there is a difference. One of grade. Regular cake I would liken to what you get at your neighborhood steakhouse when you order your favorite cut, USDA choice meat. In comparison Wedding cake should be the equivilent of Kobe beef.

Now the odd things that happened at my sis's wedding. First off, the grooms cake was done by a professional baker. It had custom designs for the icing, was expensive, but was basically a sheet cake that cost as much as the brides cake. Now the odd part. The cake was TERRIBLE. With a hundred something guests that cake didn't get more than a quarter served. I doubt if more than half of what was served was actually eaten.

In comparison the bride's cake was beautiful. Gum-paste flowers (more for looking at than eating), custom icing (color and a bit of design), Tasted absolutely amazing, fairly certian everyone there had at least a slice, and many had two or (burp) three. (I wound up having three or four slices of what was left over over the next couple of days...) And that goes to show the size of the thing.

The odd part about that? Two words: Wal-Mart. Yes, Wal-Mart makes wedding cakes, and dang good ones too.

We do wedding receptions all the time at work. Most of the four-tier cakes are three different kind of cakes. All tiers are two-layer. One tier is usually a white cake, a second tier is carrot cake, and the final tier is usually a chocolate cake. The top tier is reserved to go with the happy couple. The tiers are usually covered with fondant (I think that's what it is, really thick, strong), and lavishly decorated.

I've tasted the wedding cakes from many, many, different bakers, both in MI and here in OK. I've had good, so-so, not-so-good, and a few really GOOD cakes. I think that all depends on the baker who is making the wedding cake.

Back
Top Bottom