Fruit cake with a difference!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessejazza

Assistant Cook
LIGHT FRUIT CAKE

This is an easy all-in-one fruit cake with crumbly mixture. The combination of slow cooking and wholemeal flour ensures that it stays moist but firm.

For 7 inch round cake tin
2 eggs
4-5 oz margarine/butter
8 oz muscovado sugar [granulated ok i find]
5 oz plain flour
5 oz wholemeal flour
1 rounded tsp of baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp of mixed spice
1 lb mixed dry fruit [rinse before use]
optional
1 oz of cherries
1 oz of candied peel
glace icing with lemon juice adds a little!

variations: cook in an oven gas mark 3 for <2 hours or steam/bain marie for 5 hours. I found steaming more effective giving the cake a different consistency. Increase/descrease ratio of wholemeal/plain flour for drier/moist cake. This recipe was originally for a slow cooker.

james - please let me know what you think

in a crock pot?

You said that it was originally meant for a slow cooker. Would you put the crock pot on low and then butter the pot? How long would you do it in the pot. Did you add a little moisture in the pot? Is this going to be a traditional fruit cake that I would wrap up in cheese cloth and put rum on it?
In the US we're not very much into steaming cakes, though I always do my Boston brown bread in the steamer.

Ah no...
Use near boiling water in the bottom of the pot, turn to high (and leave it on that) for about 5 hours. I have the 3.5 ltr oval pot, used a 1lb loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper as you'd normally do for the oven. No reason why you couldn't add rum - i haven't tried.

The only reason for steaming is one can get a 7 or 8 ins tin in a steamer quite easily... ideal for making two one on top of another. Not many people tried steaming... i have and i think it's well worth it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom