"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 03-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
Ah decorating supplies are so expensive! I actually have not found any stores in Montreal, I get all my tools when I'm in Maine visiting family. There's a store that always has a 40% coupon per visit, so if I need a big ticket item I always go there. Definitely need to make a little investment, I just spent 40 minutes browsing Golda's site. Who knew there was a cutout for a gum paste shoe? That suddenly seems much easier now lol.

Really glad I found this site, it's nice to talk with other people who share the same interest. I'm looking forward to seeing your wedding cake...sounds like fun!

zaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac
Originally Posted by zaco View Post
Who knew there was a cutout for a gum paste shoe?
Oh, the cutters are just a piece of the pie when it comes to their stock! Wait until you want to get an 8 inch square pan and find that you have 10 to choose from. For cutters, I buy ones that I really need, mainly floral but I also do much of that freehand if I can, I look for interesting cookie cutters in dollar stores, etc. Or after season sales - I got 75 Christmas cutters of various sizes for $5.00 a few years ago and have used many of them!

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
Damn that is a good deal! I seriously need to expand my collection.

Quick recipe question: I just made a white cake last night and it turned out awesome! Just wondering if I can simply make it a lemon cake but substituting the vanilla with lemon extract in a 1:1 ratio.

zaco is offline   Reply With Quote