Today, I am preparing to bake a spinach lasagne for Sunday´s lunch and a Caramel Glazed Walnut Bread Cake, which in Franche Comte and The French Alps is very common during walnut season. The Vet
loves walnuts, so this is a surprise ...
Here is the simplified recipe for 8 servings:
8 one inch thick slices of French style bread cut into cubes
1 1/2 cups walnuts lightly toasted
1/8 cup sugar
4 large egg yolks
4 tsps. Instant Espresso dissolved in 1 teaspoon water
1 tsp. lemon zest
6 large egg whites
a pinch of salt
1/8 Cup sugar
2 tblsps room temperature water
8 walnut halves
1. preheat oven to 375 farenheit degrees
2. butter a 9 Inch diameter spring form baking pan & line bottom with parchment paper
3. butter parchment
4. dust the pan with flour and finely grind the bread in the Food Processor
5. spread on baking sheet and bake until golden stirring occasionally, 10 mins.
6. finely grind the bread crumbs in Food Processor and measure 3/4 cup crumbs and finely grind the nuts in too.
7. Using an Electric Mixer, beat sugar and egg yolks in large bowl until thick about 3 mins.
8. beat in Rum ( I use Havana Aged Gold ), coffee powder mixture and and zest of lemon
9. beat the whites and salt in another large bowl until soft peaks are formed
10. gradually add the remaining sugar and beat until stiff
11. fold 1/3 of whites into batter and fold in remaining whites in two additions
12. spoon batter into pan, and bake cake bread until tester inserted comes out clean about 45 mins.
13. cool pan on rack, 10 mins. and turn out the cake and peel off parchment, and then turn cake over and let cool another 15 mins.
14. line baking sheet with foil aluminum
15. lightly oil foil and place the cake on it
1. combine the sugar and the water in heavy medium saucepan
2. stir over medium low heat until sugar dissolves
3. increase heat to medium high and boil without stirring
4. when mixture turns amber toned. brush down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush and swirl the pan occasionally, about 6 mins.
5. pour the caramel over top of cake and oil tip the knife
6. immediately slice through caramel layer only marking 8 serving slices
7. garnish with walnut halves and let cool completely
Serve with Espresso, Tea or Walnut Cordial or Brandy or Cognac
Have lovely wkend,