"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Gas oven woes!!

I love my new gas range for cooking, but for baking, the oven is driving me crazy. I just threw a cake in the garbage after hours of work. Once again the center was underdone, even though I baked for the maximum amount of time called for in the recipe. I have calibrated this oven with a thermometer and it's bang on in terms of the temperature. The trouble is the moisture I think. There's just too much moisture in this oven.

Is there anything that can be done? I'm afraid to raise the baking temperature or significantly increase baking time for fear of ruining the product in some other way, but after yet another cake straight into the trashcan I'm getting desperate.

Is there a way to bake properly with a gas oven or should I just give up baking with this oven?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

you might just need to get used to your oven. I use baking TIMES as only a guideline, I rarely have something that cooks in the specified time, I either cook it for less or more time. I have a nice electric convection oven, it cooks beautifully, but I still don't cook by time. I prefer electric for baking, but millions get by with gas ovens just fine.

Also make sure that your batter is made properly, everything measured accurately, a too heavy batter will take longer to cook.

Even with a brand new convection oven, I had to get to know it, how it baked, and so on, no two ovens will cook the same.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Time is a Tool....Not a rule!!!

Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Time is a Tool....Not a rule!!!
I guess I'm so used to baking times being at least somewhat accurate that it's very disconcerting when I can't rely on them at all!

Oh well, I guess I know what I have to do...
Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

If your gas oven is heating to an accurate temperature and maintaining that temperature, the fact that it's gas is not messing up your cake.

The problem could be with the recipe. Did you make ANY changes to it?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If your gas oven is heating to an accurate temperature and maintaining that temperature, the fact that it's gas is not messing up your cake.

The problem could be with the recipe. Did you make ANY changes to it?
I was wondering the same. However, gas, if it is bottled butane (which some gas ovens are attached to, rather than pipelined) can contain quite a lot of moisture that is thrown out on gas combustion. Namely, portable gas heaters for an example. But if the OP's oven is temperature-correct, then I would say it's their recipe. Check it out.

Gas ovens, even electric, all have their hot spots, all have their idiosyncrasies and need getting used to. I have a Lacanche, a biggun, and even that is a bit of a cuss at times.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I wouldn't use any other fuel than natural gas, however my oven bakes fast, so I always have to use less time. I had electric once and hated it. I don't know where you live, but altitude could be your problem.
http://highaltitudebaking.com/adj_recipes.htm
Old 09-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I live at 6,000 feet and have a propane stove with a bad thermostat. It took some experimenting but after I learned to follow the ingredient adjustments for the high altitude and bought an oven thermometer I get good results when I bake and a lot of raves because people here don't bake much!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:02 AM   #9
Head Chef

Could it be your cake pan?? I have a new fangled, fancy heavy gauge cake pan that I have the same problem with. I have tried to bake at lower temps. with out success.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Well there's another pie in the garbage.

I give up, I hate this oven.

It's all well and good to say that you shouldn't be ruled by baking time, but it takes alot of skill to be able to figure out if something is done perfectly just by looking at it with no reference to time. Cakes are easier because you can toothpick test them. But for a Pecan pie? Who knows? The recipe says it's done when it's slightly wobbly and set at top. I don't trust the recipe so I cut into the centre and of course, a lake of liquid. This thing isn't even close to being done. Not even in the ballpark, and we're already at maximum baking time. The crust is already browned, maybe overbrowned.

In this case, the baking time isn't just wrong, it's ridiculously, woefully completely wrong. Not even close.

The oven temperature is fine. I checked it with a thermometer. It's bang on.

I HATE HATE HATE HATE gas baking.

Tags
None