German Apple Cake - World's Best Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
I'm not fond of cakes. But there is an exception to every rule. BW won a Blue Ribbon with this recipe some years back, then forgot about it until the other day, and made it just for us. I am ashamed to say I made a pig of myself over it with vanilla ice cream. Kitchenelf, I guarantee you'll love it!

APFEL KUCHEN
(GERMAN APPLE CAKE)

INGREDIENTS;

4 cups Apples, peeled & diced
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 eggs, beaten
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Combine apples and sugar in large bowl, set aside.
Sift together flour, cinnamon, & baking soda.
Fold beaten eggs into apple mixture, add flour mixture.
Pour into greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
Bake 40 minutes.
Poke holes in cake with a fork and pour sauce over it.

SAUCE INGREDIENTS:

½ cup Brown Sugar
½ cup sugar
2 Tbs Flour
1 cup water
¼ cup margarine
1 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

Combine sugars, flour & water in a saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until clear and thickened.
Add margarine & vanilla and cook until margarine melted.
Pour hot sauce over warm cake.

APFELKUCHEN.JPG

Oh dare you old coot - there's no picture!!!!!! I'm not making it until I see a picture :mrgreen: :P

This one is going on the kitchen counter for easy access for grocery shopping tomorrow - BUT I STILL WANT A PICTURE!!!! 8)

GEEZ - this is kitchenelf -had no idea I wasn't logged in. :oops:

Oldcoot have you ever tried Tres Leche (Three Milk) cake? It's a Latin style cake made with Heavy Cream, Evaporated Milk, and Condensed Milk. If you haven't, since you live in LA, you should go to this really good Cuban restaurant called "Havana Mania" in Manhattan Beach. And don't forget to order a Mojito too

ironchef - I just love mojitos!!! It's such a refreshing drink - with a London Broil with Chimichurri (sp??) There is not one bar/restaurant around here that makes mojitos - slack, I know. When I told this one bar tender that you muddle the mint with the lime he said that he had never heard the term "muddle" and I was just making it up. I told him they even made a muddler - what ensued was not nice! :roll:

But the best mojito I EVER had was in Times Square at the revolving bar on top of the Marriott - but, LOL, it was made in a short (scotch and water) type glass and cost $13.00!!!! But worth every penny just for the view.

Ironchef, one gets the impression you are somewhat enamored of Cuban cuisine. Having had limited exposure to it, I can say that what little I have had has been quite good.

I take affront (or aback - whatever) to your implication that "Tres Leche" is comparableto (or exceeds?) my candidate for the World's Best Cake, however! I suppose, since Manhattan Beach is but a stone's throw from here, I shall have to follow your recommendation in the near future.

But the mojito bit has minimal appeal - it is little more than a Cuban Mint Julep - and I find the conventional mint julep far from delightful. (A serious waste of god Bourbon, in my opinion!) Still, being a curious sort, and having all the ingredients at hand, I suppose I shall give that a shot, too - of rum, that is.

['Elf, I even have a glass muddler!]

Question: The lime referred to in to many Cuban recipes, including mohitos: is it regular lime or Key lime? Major difference in flavor!

hmm...well I don't know if enamoured would be the right word, but I am quite fond of all Latin and Hispanic cuisines. I think mostly because I never grew up eating it, the flavors seem more new and enlightening to me.

I think what makes the mojito more appealing is that they use sugar cane rather than the conventional simple syrup to sweeten it. I do not know whether or not they traditionally use key limes, but all the mojitos I've had use regular limes.

Probably the biggest misconception of Cuban food is that people think it's spicy like Mexican food. For people who've never tried it, Cuban food is more savory and earthy, with lots of citrus and/or vinegar as the base for a lot of the dishes. But anyway, let me know how you like the restaurant Oldcoot. I make it a point to go back there whenever I'm in LA (that and the Hollywood Farmer's Market with the BEST tamales).

oldcoot said:
Ironchef, one gets the impression you are somewhat enamored of Cuban cuisine. Having had limited exposure to it, I can say that what little I have had has been quite good.

I take affront (or aback - whatever) to your implication that "Tres Leche" is comparableto (or exceeds?) my candidate for the World's Best Cake, however! I suppose, since Manhattan Beach is but a stone's throw from here, I shall have to follow your recommendation in the near future.

But the mojito bit has minimal appeal - it is little more than a Cuban Mint Julep - and I find the conventional mint julep far from delightful. (A serious waste of god Bourbon, in my opinion!) Still, being a curious sort, and having all the ingredients at hand, I suppose I shall give that a shot, too - of rum, that is.

['Elf, I even have a glass muddler!]

Question: The lime referred to in to many Cuban recipes, including mohitos: is it regular lime or Key lime? Major difference in flavor!

During our recent trip to Kauai we visited the sugar plantation there. My Canadian wife, who had never tasted sugar cane, chewed on a piece of it and remarked with some surprise, "It tastes just like sugar!"

You're right, "chef ...to ,me it tasted like - and had the texture of .- a dried piece of pine wood that had been soaked in sugar. :)

Yes, it has a subtley different flavor which probably can be appreciated in a mojito.

Ironchef

Do you have a recipe for this?
MaryAnne

Oldcoot have you ever tried Tres Leche (Three Milk) cake?

no I don't have one, mainly because I don't like to bake. I CAN do it if I have to I suppose, but I kinda shy away from making things that need exact measuring. i would just do a search on google for one.

Hi,

I nearly deceided to post my german apple cake which I usually make and comes from North Germany. But seeing that you have a very tasty receipe I will leave it but for that I will post a german plum Cake.

Susi

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom