Gingerbread With Cream Cheese Frosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Gingerbread With Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup solid shortening
1/2 cup sugar
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 Tablespoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 large egg
1 1/3 cup molasses
1 cup room temperature water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Grease a 9" X 13" baking pan with butter or shortening.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a stand mixer, beat together the shortening and sugar until fluffy.
Scrape sides of bowl. Add the egg and mix again, then the molasses, scraping if necessary.
On low speed, add dry ingredients, alternating with water until the batter is smooth. Scrape sides of bowl one more time.
Pour into prepared pan and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or cool and frost with cream cheese frosting (below). Cover leftovers.

Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' (powdered) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Milk as needed to thin

Using an electric beater, beat cream cheese and butter until creamy. Scrape down sides of bowl. On low speed add confectioners' sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating after each addition until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and cinnamon and beat again. Add small amount of milk if frosting is to thick and beat well.

i baked this today:

img_809792_0_b05fde2cd30b31d2d9ca632baae59cdf.jpg

I've never had frosting on ginger bread (we always serve it hot with whipped cream), but this sounds good. I love ginger bread and I love cream cheese frosting, so why not love them together?!

:)Barbara

i love ginger bread and this looks like a good recipe. frosting sounds great too, could use it on many things, i am thinking easter cupcakes. does it hold up well?
thank you. yes it holds up great. it tastes better today than yesterday. but i think next time i will add a pinch of ground cloves and some fresh grated nutmeg.

I've never had frosting on ginger bread (we always serve it hot with whipped cream), but this sounds good. I love ginger bread and I love cream cheese frosting, so why not love them together?!

:)Barbara
hello barbara yup why not?! :LOL:

I haven't had ginger bread in years, I remenber when I was little, my grandmother use to put a lemon sauce over it. It was really good, But cream cheese frosting-- YUM !!!

I haven't had ginger bread in years, I remenber when I was little, my grandmother use to put a lemon sauce over it. It was really good, But cream cheese frosting-- YUM !!!
thank you. btw i tasted the frosting without the cinnamon and it was good, then i added the cinnamon which brings nice personality to the frosting and makes it sing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom