"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 05-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #11
Master Chef

That would be 2 egss and 1 tsp. ov vanilla.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
THank you, thank you! Will try this soon - my family loves cheesecake.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I use almost the same recipe, except I use 5 x large eggs, and I substitute 32 oz whipped cream cheese. You think you died and went to heaven.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Combine filling ingredients and pour into the crust. Place in the hot oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180 and bake for 50 minutes. Turn off oven and let cool with the door partially propped open. Top with something yummy and serve.
You don't let it cool in the fridge overnight?

Here is my recipe.

Basic Lime Almond Cheesecake

pre-heat oven 350 degrees

crust:
1/4 lb melted salted butter
2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafer crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
mix well then press into sides and bottom of an ungreased 10" springform pan.

batter:
4 pkgs 8 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
pinch of salt
4 large eggs
whip cream cheese then add sugar. on low speed add eggs one at a time. then pour batter into crust. bake for 50-55 minutes. when done, remove cake from oven, but do not turn oven off - let cake stand in room temp for 10 minutes while you prepare glaze.

sour cream glaze: 2 cups sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp almond extract. combine using spatula in a bowl. pour and spread evenly on top of cheesecake. bake for another 10 minutes. REMOVE FROM OVEN AND IMMEDIATELY PLACE IN REFRIGERATOR TO COOL.

NOTE: The last time I made the lime almond cheesecake I used 1.5 teaspoons lime instead of 1.5 tablespoons and half the almond that the recipe called for. Made as per the recipe the almond was too strong imo. The reduced lime was just a mistake on my part, but it allowed the cake to have a more subtle flavor, which was excellent.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:43 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Darn ! I wish I knew more about baking, Grandma was such a great one. You used cornstarch instead of all-purpose flour, uh, what's the difference ?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:35 PM   #16
Master Chef

Cornstarch vs. flour. Cornstarch has more thickening power and so less of it is needed. Cornstarch is neutral in flavor and so doesn't alter the cheesecake flavor. Cornstarch doesn't creat a crumb texture and is smoother than is flour and so thickens without becoming heavy.

Other flavorless thickeners include tapioca starch, and arrowroot. Thes can be used in place of cornstarch. In fact, tapioca starch (tapioca flour) is better for fruit pie fillings as in blueberry pie.

Hope this helps. Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 07-16-2006, 03:01 AM   #17
Senior Cook

ooo, I was kinda hopin baking wouldn't be so complicated. But I don't think cornstarch as you described would be good in a NY cheesecake. It needs that crumble you speak of.

What about sodium hydrogen carbonate(baking soda) ? What is the effect of that stuff ?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #18
Master Chef

Don't worry about the slightly crumbling texture. That is caused by cooking the cheesecake a little longer and evaporating more of the liquid. The original recipe I worked with for years produced a drier, more crumbly texture, and it used cornstarch. It's just that the cornstarch adds no flavor of its own.

As for the baking soda, it would react with the acidity of the cream cheese, and with the egg-whites, creating more loft, or a lighter cheesecake. But if you use too much, it will add an unwanted flavor. So be careful.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 07-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller
You don't let it cool in the fridge overnight?

Here is my recipe.

Basic Lime Almond Cheesecake
That looks amazing. And I know the flavors of lime and cottage cheese go so well together. I would think this cheesecake would be very refreshing on a hot summer day. Thank you for this recipe. Maybe this payday I'll have to give it a try. Thanks again.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:44 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Don't worry about the slightly crumbling texture. That is caused by cooking the cheesecake a little longer and evaporating more of the liquid. The original recipe I worked with for years produced a drier, more crumbly texture, and it used cornstarch. It's just that the cornstarch adds no flavor of its own.

As for the baking soda, it would react with the acidity of the cream cheese, and with the egg-whites, creating more loft, or a lighter cheesecake. But if you use too much, it will add an unwanted flavor. So be careful.

WOW, that better be right or I'll be by to kick yo butt ! jk

Tags
None