Goodweed's New NY Cheesecake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I've been following a particualr recipe for many years when making a New York Cheesecake. But recent questions about texture prompted me to do a bit of experimentation in preperation for Mother's Day.

My wife asked me to make her a cheesecake. I did so, but changed the recipe just a bit. The result was the creamiest cheesecake I have ever eaten. I believe it's worth sharing with my freinds.

I came up with this recipe as an experimental alteration.

Ingredents:
Crust:
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs.
4 tbs. sugar (I use Splenda)
8 tbs. real butter

Filling:
6 - 8oz. pkgs. cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/8 cups sugar (Splenda for me again)
3 tbs. Cornstarch
1/2 cup milk
3 large eggs.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Melt the butter and combine with the remaining crust ingredients. Spread evenly across the bottom and sides of either a 10 inch round springform pan, or a 9 inch square sprinform pan. Place pan with crust into the freezer for ten minutes.

Place the cream cheese in a large, microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 minute in the microwave to soften. Beat in the remaining ingredients until the filling is silky smooth. This is easier of course with an immersion blender, a mixer, or a wire whisk.

Por the filling into the pie crust and smooth until the top is evenly distributed and flat. Place into the hot oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then, reduce heat to 180 degrees and bake for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and partially open the oven door. Let the cheescake cool with the oven until it reaches room temperature. Top with your favorite cheescake topping.

This cheesecake is still creamy when chilled before serving. My youngest daughter told me that this was the best cheesecake I'd ever made. My wife echoed the compliment. Last night was a good night. I was able to give my best to my family, and that makes me feel very good indeed. Besides, I now have my very own cheesecake recipe. Hmmmm, which will they carve on my tombstone, "Here lies the Pancake King." Or, "Here lies the Cheesecake King". Or maybe one of my kids will put "Here lies my Dad, the teller of the cheesiest jokes on the planet.":ROFLMAO:

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You could send one of those cheesecakes my way, Weed. That is something I really love, be it baked or refrigerator style, and it's not to late to celebrate M.D.!
Anyone can make a refrigerator cheesecake, but those who can do a baked one are special!
I expect the cornstarch is what made the difference in your cake.

The cornstarch was in the original recipe. What made this one better is the alteration of cooking temp (from 200 to 180' F.), and the addition of the 1/2 cup of milk. The original recipe didn't have the milk in it and so was a naturally dryer filling. I ended up working 5 hours overtime last night (got done at 1:10 a.m.) and so got up a little late this morning, but still in plenty of time to get to work. That being the case, breakfast consisted of a slice of cheescake and a small chunk of pepperoni (not at the same time, and with milk to chase the cheesecake before munching the sausage). The cheesecake was still as creamy, 3 days later, as it was fresh. I'm really happy with the results. This will become my go-to recipe from now on.

Seeeeeya: Goodweed of the North

Goodweed- thank you so sharing!!!!This looks like a dessert I'll have to make for our up coming party!!!!

Michelemarie said:
Goodweed, I have a 9" round springform - will this make a difference?

There's a bit of math involved. Just get out your calculator and multiply all ingredients by 1/3, except for the milk. The original recipe called for a 9 inch sprinform pan. I devided everything by half and added that number to the original for all ingredients. I'll try and give you the recipe here from memory.

Filling:
4 - 8oz. pkgs. cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tbs. cornstarch
1/8 cup plus 2 tbs. milk

Crust:
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tbs. sugar
6 tbs. melted butter.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Combine crust ingredients and press into a 9 inch springform pan. Place in freezer.

Combine filling ingredients and pour into the crust. Place in the hot oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180 and bake for 50 minutes. Turn off oven and let cool with the door partially propped open. Top with something yummy and serve.

I believe this should be pretty close. I'm not quite positive on the amount of sugar to add. But the other measurements are dead-on. And the sugar should be very close.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I use almost the same recipe, except I use 5 x large eggs, and I substitute 32 oz whipped cream cheese. You think you died and went to heaven.

Goodweed of the North said:
Combine filling ingredients and pour into the crust. Place in the hot oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180 and bake for 50 minutes. Turn off oven and let cool with the door partially propped open. Top with something yummy and serve.
You don't let it cool in the fridge overnight?

Here is my recipe.

Basic Lime Almond Cheesecake

pre-heat oven 350 degrees

crust:
1/4 lb melted salted butter
2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafer crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
mix well then press into sides and bottom of an ungreased 10" springform pan.

batter:
4 pkgs 8 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
pinch of salt
4 large eggs
whip cream cheese then add sugar. on low speed add eggs one at a time. then pour batter into crust. bake for 50-55 minutes. when done, remove cake from oven, but do not turn oven off - let cake stand in room temp for 10 minutes while you prepare glaze.

sour cream glaze: 2 cups sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp almond extract. combine using spatula in a bowl. pour and spread evenly on top of cheesecake. bake for another 10 minutes. REMOVE FROM OVEN AND IMMEDIATELY PLACE IN REFRIGERATOR TO COOL.

NOTE: The last time I made the lime almond cheesecake I used 1.5 teaspoons lime instead of 1.5 tablespoons and half the almond that the recipe called for. Made as per the recipe the almond was too strong imo. The reduced lime was just a mistake on my part, but it allowed the cake to have a more subtle flavor, which was excellent.

Last edited:
Darn ! I wish I knew more about baking, Grandma was such a great one. You used cornstarch instead of all-purpose flour, uh, what's the difference ?

Last edited:
Cornstarch vs. flour. Cornstarch has more thickening power and so less of it is needed. Cornstarch is neutral in flavor and so doesn't alter the cheesecake flavor. Cornstarch doesn't creat a crumb texture and is smoother than is flour and so thickens without becoming heavy.

Other flavorless thickeners include tapioca starch, and arrowroot. Thes can be used in place of cornstarch. In fact, tapioca starch (tapioca flour) is better for fruit pie fillings as in blueberry pie.

Hope this helps. Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

ooo, I was kinda hopin baking wouldn't be so complicated. But I don't think cornstarch as you described would be good in a NY cheesecake. It needs that crumble you speak of.

What about sodium hydrogen carbonate(baking soda) ? What is the effect of that stuff ?

Don't worry about the slightly crumbling texture. That is caused by cooking the cheesecake a little longer and evaporating more of the liquid. The original recipe I worked with for years produced a drier, more crumbly texture, and it used cornstarch. It's just that the cornstarch adds no flavor of its own.

As for the baking soda, it would react with the acidity of the cream cheese, and with the egg-whites, creating more loft, or a lighter cheesecake. But if you use too much, it will add an unwanted flavor. So be careful.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

vagriller said:
You don't let it cool in the fridge overnight?

Here is my recipe.

Basic Lime Almond Cheesecake

That looks amazing. And I know the flavors of lime and cottage cheese go so well together. I would think this cheesecake would be very refreshing on a hot summer day. Thank you for this recipe. Maybe this payday I'll have to give it a try. Thanks again.

Goodweed of the North said:
Don't worry about the slightly crumbling texture. That is caused by cooking the cheesecake a little longer and evaporating more of the liquid. The original recipe I worked with for years produced a drier, more crumbly texture, and it used cornstarch. It's just that the cornstarch adds no flavor of its own.

As for the baking soda, it would react with the acidity of the cream cheese, and with the egg-whites, creating more loft, or a lighter cheesecake. But if you use too much, it will add an unwanted flavor. So be careful.

WOW, that better be right or I'll be by to kick yo butt ! jk

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom