Grandma's chocolate cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup wesson oil
1 cup boiling water
1 t. vanilla

Frosting:
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup white Karo syrup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 stick butter
1 6oz. package chocolate chips
1/2 t. vanilla

Mix all cake ingredients together. Beat well and add 1 cup boiling water and 1 t. vanilla. (It's ok if it's pretty runny)
Pour into greased and floured bundt pan. Bake 350 for 35-40 minutes.

Let cake cook a little

For frosting:Mix sugar, karo, milk and butter together in saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes. Add chocolate chips and vanilla.

Make icing smooth and drizzle over warm cake. Frosing will run.

Hi,

so this will be my first "real" amerikan Cake. I love Chocólate cake in each Versions. So I will try it at Friday for my little boy.

Thank you for your recipe.

lg Tanja

karaburun,
I hope you enjoy it. Let me know how it comes out. My grandmother use to make this for the grandchildren everytime they came over to her house so it brings back good memories for us.

Can I take something other ingredient for this syrup???

I don´t think that I get it here. I have just an american friend of mine in Chefkoch, but she said, that I don´t get it her. Sh..... :?

Can i take perhaps another syrup?

Please help :!:

Tanja

karaburun
I'm not sure if you could substitute anything. I think that when baking you would need to use the product not only because of the taste, but because of the consistency of the syrup. Check out this website it will tell you a little about Karo syrup. You might have a product with similar ingredients that you could use.

http://www.karosyrup.com/history.asp

I have no idea :? When I bake I usually go by the exact directions and use the exact products. I usually get scared to experiment when baking, but since it is only in the frosting and not the cake then I guess it would be worth a shot.

I´ve found a solution for my problem.

Here I write it for all they have no karo syrup.

What you need is:

225 g sugar
75 ml water.

you boil this two things together up. An now you have what you need.

For a darker syrup, put a little bit dark honey or sugar colour into the boiling sugarwater.

It is quiet easy as I thougt. :P

lg Tanja

I´ve found a solution for my problem.

Here I write it for all they have no karo syrup.

What you need is:

225 g sugar
75 ml water.

you boil this two things together up. An now you have what you need.

For a darker syrup, put a little bit dark honey or sugar colour into the boiling sugarwater.

It is quiet easy as I thougt. :P

lg Tanja

karaburun
I hope it works out. The icing should be a good consistancy, thicker than syrup,but not too thick, so that it drizzles over the cake. I'm sure it will be good.
Good Luck

Look here´s the outcome:

chocolatecakeandpiece450.jpg

Looks like it came out nicely :D
I have always baked mine in a bundt pan (the one with the hole in the center), it is interesting to see it in a different shape. Did the icing come out ok with using the simple syrup (sugar and water) :?:

Back
Top Bottom