Great-granny Fanny's blackberry cake..help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
When I was looking for another recipe, I found this hand-written note in her cookbook. I never tasted it, but I remember my mother talking about how good it was.

Berry Cake

2 cups sugar
1 cup berry juice
1 cup berry pulp
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
2/3 cup butter
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 cups flour

Cream butter and sugar, add well beaten egg yolks, spices, berry juice and flour. Add soda last.

These are not very good directions, I know. Soda is not even on the list of ingredients, but don't you have to add soda with the baking powder to make it rise?

It also doesn't say when to add the pulp, but I would assume you would add it with the juice. The reason juice and pulp are measured separately is that she probably ran the berries through a colander first. That way, you could regulate the amount of juice that goes in. Every blackberry cake I've tried to make was too soggy.

As for baking directions...your guess is as good as mine. I know this was a pan cake, not a layer cake.

Maybe this is why no one else in the family could bake the cake. I thought perhaps some of you bakers out there might be able to help me fill in the "missing links" in this recipe.

Soda is not even on the list of ingredients, but don't you have to add soda with the baking powder to make it rise?

I have recipes that call for either powder or soda, but not both, so I think that part of the recipe is fine. Just make sure your baking powder is a double acting (it'll cause a reaction for rise when you mix the ingredients and again when the cake is baked).

It also doesn't say when to add the pulp
I'd fold it in at the end. That much pulp is going to be a lot of berries!:) And I'm sure you're right--pushing the berries through a mill, strainer, etc., will get out the seeds but keep the juice and pulp.

As far as baking instructions go, I'd try 350, the standard temp, but check it a lot! I'd think it'll be a really moist cake so you may always get some sticky crumbs on a cake tester/toothpick, but just make sure it's not to wet in the middle. If that's the case you may have to up the temp. I have a blueberry cake recipe that is baked in an 8x8" pan at 400 but only for 25-30 minutes. Sorry I'm not much help on that part--if it were me, it'd just end up being a lot of trial and error.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom