Hawaiian refrigerator cake/1950's style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAJ

Senior Cook
:chef:1 AND 1/3 CUPS CONDENSED MILK (1 CAN)
1/4 CUP LEMON JUICE
10 MARSHMALLOWS/QUARTERED
1/2 CUP CRUSHED PINEAPPLE
10 MARISHINO CHERRIES/QUARTERED
1/2 CUP HEAVY CREAM/WHIPPED

COMBINE MILK/LEMON JUICE/AND STIR UNTIL THICKENED.
ADD MARSHMALLOWS/FRUIT/WHIPPED CREAM
LINE 9-INCH PAN WITH SEPARATED LADY FINGERS/STANDING HALVES AROUND INNER AND OUTER EDGES OF PAN. POUR IN FILLING. COVER
WITH LADYFINGERS IF DESIRED. CHILL 6 HRS OR LONGER
GARNISH WITH WHIPPED CREAM

SERVES 10

:chef:1 AND 1/3 CUPS CONDENSED MILK (1 CAN)
1/4 CUP LEMON JUICE
10 MARSHMALLOWS/QUARTERED
1/2 CUP CRUSHED PINEAPPLE
10 MARISHINO CHERRIES/QUARTERED
1/2 CUP HEAVY CREAM/WHIPPED

COMBINE MILK/LEMON JUICE/AND STIR UNTIL THICKENED.
ADD MARSHMALLOWS/FRUIT/WHIPPED CREAM
LINE 9-INCH PAN WITH SEPARATED LADY FINGERS/STANDING HALVES AROUND INNER AND OUTER EDGES OF PAN. POUR IN FILLING. COVER
WITH LADYFINGERS IF DESIRED. CHILL 6 HRS OR LONGER
GARNISH WITH WHIPPED CREAM

SERVES 10
Sounds good! To clarify though, is that evaporated milk or sweetened condensed milk? Since it says condensed I am assuming it is the latter.

:)Barbara

OMG. My "spinster" great-aunt (my mentor, my friend, my confidant) used to always make that when I would come to stay with her. Thanks for sharing it. The recipe wasn't in her recipe box (one of the few things I DEMANDED was mine). That recipe brings back so many memories.

sorry I didn not specify "sweetened" condensed milk. I believe that is the only kind of condensed milk... smiles... it is a great dessert. oldie but goodie

sorry I didn not specify "sweetened" condensed milk. I believe that is the only kind of condensed milk... smiles... it is a great dessert. oldie but goodie

LAJ, I know that, and I assure you that the previous posters on this thread know that too. The point is, that using the correct term eliminates confusion for the thousands of guests who visit DC and are very new to cooking.

Please, note the smiles above in my previous post to the condensed milk question. Enjoy the recipe please.

As Kayelle stated, we know the difference between condensed and evaporated, but every now and then someone will post a recipe and will use one term but mean the other. Some also use the term "canned milk," which can be confusing. In my house, if we say "canned milk" we mean evaporated, but others may mean sweetened condensed. :cool:

This reminds me of the word "soda." If my daughter asked her son to go to the store and buy soda she would expect him to come home with a carbonated soft drink. However, if I had ever asked my daughter to go to the store and buy soda, she had better come home with baking soda. :D

This reminds me of the word "soda." If my daughter asked her son to go to the store and buy soda she would expect him to come home with a carbonated soft drink. However, if I had ever asked my daughter to go to the store and buy soda, she had better come home with baking soda. :D

If I asked for soda, my DH would ask if I meant baking soda or washing soda :LOL:

I used to call soda "pop" and my southern relatives would laugh at me. They called soda- "drinks." To me, drinks were martinis and such. Now, I say soda. I guess its a regional thing.

I used to call soda "pop" and my southern relatives would laugh at me. They called soda- "drinks." To me, drinks were martinis and such. Now, I say soda. I guess its a regional thing.

Definitely a regional thing. One of my children, when very young, heard their mother call carbonated soft drinks, soda. They heard me call it "pop". Once day, this child asked us for some pop crackers, meaning soda crackers, of course.:LOL: I understand from some of my southern friends that any pop or soda in their area is called coke, no matter the flavor.

English and colloquialisms, such an interesting thing is language.:)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed,
language is a wonderful thing. My cousin in N.C. used to use the word "Cheerwine" for all soft drinks. Its' made by South Carolina bottling Co. and some people have never heard of it. I used to love it. Cross between Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper, maybe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom