HELP !!! Making a cake and help is needed urgently :S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nall

Assistant Cook
Im making a rectangle shaped cake with 4 layers of vanilla cake and 3 layers of filling.
( The vanilla cake will have bitesize oreos inside)

THE THREE LAYERS OF FILLINGS:
(From bottom to top)

1. A mix of breaked meringues and nuts with whipped cream.

2. Caramel

3. Chocolate Ganache

FROSTING:

Chocolate Ganache, caramel and small oreo crumbs.

I hope the explanation of the cake was clear... I got it all planed perfectly, the only problem is that I don't have the correct recipe for the chocolate ganache.. I need it urgently :S

Also, if you have any tips or advice, tell me please!

Welcome to DC, Nall! I'm no baker, and utterly of no help, but someone will be by to help you soon! Your cake sounds wonderful!

Have you checked out the ganache recipes in the dessert threads here? Do a search for ganache in the top bar, and all kinds of recipes pop up.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Welcome to DC, Nall! I'm no baker, and utterly of no help, but someone will be by to help you soon! Your cake sounds wonderful!

Have you checked out the ganache recipes in the dessert threads here? Do a search in the top bar, and all kinds of recipes pop up.

Dawgluver, thank you so much for the reply. I see the forum is very active so I dont doubt I'll receive help soon :)

Since you are not a baker, what is your speciality? I'd love to hear different recipes :)

Nall said:
Dawgluver, thank you so much for the reply. I see the forum is very active so I dont doubt I'll receive help soon :)

Since you are not a baker, what is your speciality? I'd love to hear different recipes :)

Look around the site, Nall, we have some marvelous cooks and bakers here. I just throw things together. Check out the recipe section. Good luck, and have fun!

Nall, I apologize, I have not been on much the last few days and while I was here on and off today, I just saw this.

A basic ganache is equal parts cream (heavy/whipping/35%) and good quality semisweet chocolate (65-80% work best).

Heat your cream to scalding (just little bubbles around the edge of the pot and pour it over the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Let sit for five minutes and then mix carefully with a wooden spoon or a spatula (a whisk doesn't work too well here) until smooth. Let cool. You can let it thicken slightly to be able to spread as a filling, or fold in a small amount of whipped cream to make it lighter, more of a mousse.

I hope that helps. If you need more information, just post here and I will watch for notifications.

Nall, I apologize, I have not been on much the last few days and while I was here on and off today, I just saw this.

A basic ganache is equal parts cream (heavy/whipping/35%) and good quality semisweet chocolate (65-80% work best).

Heat your cream to scalding (just little bubbles around the edge of the pot and pour it over the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Let sit for five minutes and then mix carefully with a wooden spoon or a spatula (a whisk doesn't work too well here) until smooth. Let cool. You can let it thicken slightly to be able to spread as a filling, or fold in a small amount of whipped cream to make it lighter, more of a mousse.

I hope that helps. If you need more information, just post here and I will watch for notifications.

Just printed your instructions, thank you a lot! Just what I was looking for!

When you say, "you can let it thicken slightly to be able to spread as filling", what exactly do I do for this? Let it cool at room temperature for a longer time?

There is no moment where I need to refrigerate the ganache right?

Also, do you think hersheys semi-sweet chocolate chips will work as the chocolate for my ganache?

Thank you so much :D

Yes, Hershey's chips will work fine. I usually do chill it for a short time, specially if I am adding the whipped cream - you don't want to add it to warm ganache. But you must take care to not let it harden too much. If you are wanting to use it soon after making it, then yes, refrigerate it until it is slightly thick and not warm. It is hard to give you an exact time frame or consistency. You will know when it is good enough to spread.

Your cake sounds very interesting. I would love to see pictures when you are done! :)

Yes, Hershey's chips will work fine. I usually do chill it for a short time, specially if I am adding the whipped cream - you don't want to add it to warm ganache. But you must take care to not let it harden too much. If you are wanting to use it soon after making it, then yes, refrigerate it until it is slightly thick and not warm. It is hard to give you an exact time frame or consistency. You will know when it is good enough to spread.

Your cake sounds very interesting. I would love to see pictures when you are done! :)

Oh, got it. So if I make it the night before, I can leave it to cool over night at room temperature right?

Thank you, I think its going to be original! I just hope it turns out alright, because its for the 24th, so, lots of responsibility :p
Ill make sure to take a picture for you

Good morning from north Wales, I endorse any method or recipe of LPB for patisserie without reading Nall.I would only add you have a lot going on in the cake and I dont know how sweet the hersy choc is so for my taste I would make the nash using very dark choc.:)

Good morning from north Wales, I endorse any method or recipe of LPB for patisserie without reading Nall.I would only add you have a lot going on in the cake and I dont know how sweet the hersy choc is so for my taste I would make the nash using very dark choc.:)

You have a point, the cake does have many sweet ingredients. The dark chocolate could counteract the sweetness of the other ingredients.

Oh, got it. So if I make it the night before, I can leave it to cool over night at room temperature right?

Thank you, I think its going to be original! I just hope it turns out alright, because its for the 24th, so, lots of responsibility :p
Ill make sure to take a picture for you

Because you are dealing with a dairy product, you don't want to leave it out too long. At room temperature it should cool in a half hour to an hour, and then would need to be refrigerated or used in the cake and then refrigerated. Ganache can be a tricky thing to use, but is very effective and tasty.

Because you are dealing with a dairy product, you don't want to leave it out too long. At room temperature it should cool in a half hour to an hour, and then would need to be refrigerated or used in the cake and then refrigerated. Ganache can be a tricky thing to use, but is very effective and tasty.

That's right. I forgot I was using a dairy product! Thanks for the advice.

So, do you think this is right?

16 oz of chocolate for 2 cups of whipping cream

Get the whipping cream to the point where the bubbles start appearing at the side and immediately pour on the chopped chocolate. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes and then mix with a wooden spoon slowly until it becomes smooth. Let it rest for one hour or until cool, then use it as filling and frosting on the cake. Refrigerate the cake as soon as possible.

Is this right? Because after all the tips and advice this is what I plan to do, (If it is completely right). :)

That's right. I forgot I was using a dairy product! Thanks for the advice.

So, do you think this is right?

16 oz of chocolate for 2 cups of whipping cream
I was just looking at my truffle recipe and it calls for a ganache of 1 lb of chocolate to 1 cup of cream. (16 oz to 8 oz) You don't want it that solid, so I would go 16 oz of chocolate to 12 oz (1 1/2 cups) cream. Sorry for the change, but this should all be right for you now.

Just remember, once the ganache is in your cake, the whole thing must be refrigerated.

Hope it goes well.

Great!

I was just looking at my truffle recipe and it calls for a ganache of 1 lb of chocolate to 1 cup of cream. (16 oz to 8 oz) You don't want it that solid, so I would go 16 oz of chocolate to 12 oz (1 1/2 cups) cream. Sorry for the change, but this should all be right for you now.

Just remember, once the ganache is in your cake, the whole thing must be refrigerated.

Hope it goes well.

Alright, perfect. 16 oz of chocolate to 1 1/2 cups of cream. Thank you for checking that out for me, I appreciate it! :)

Back
Top Bottom