Help needed with cupcake recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NavEats

Assistant Cook
I made these delicious strawberry cream cheese cupcakes the other day and they were divine! Save for one thing however--they were a bit too heavy (probably the high amounts of butter I think?). I feel like the creamy butter-sugar blend is what makes the cupcakes so delicious...what are some good substitutions for butter in cupcakes?

2-1/3 cups flour
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1-1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp + 1 tsp strawberry spread
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, cut into 24 pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cupcake tins with baking cups.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the batter, alternating with half of the milk, ending with the flour. Stir until just combined.
4. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with the batter. Pour the strawberry spread into a separate small bowl and stir until smooth. Press a piece of cold cream cheese into each cupcake and top with 1/2 tsp of the strawberry spread. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

What comes to mind is that either the butter, sugar, and eggs weren't beaten enough this is where air gets added), or there was too much stirring while adding the milk and flour (that's how you lose air).

I agree with taxlady - either the butter and sugar weren't creamed long enough, ie, until light and fluffy or the flour and milk were overmixed.

Odd, I would have creamed the cream cheese in with the butter and sugar. Hmmm...have to think on this.

Back
Top Bottom