Help with Cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dengirl

Assistant Cook
I Am new at baking. I have started this past year and I have gotten pretty good for the most part and I have learned tips along the way. but I still have a tough time getting a cake or cupcakes to come out moist not dry or over coked :( I know not over baking is obvious but I think my over is not right because to cook at the norm 350 they seem to cook too fast and not all done in middle. So I have been cooking more slow at 325 and put a pan of water in with them that seems to be working but does take. Long time to bake. My real reason for this post is what is better. Recipes with milk water or butter milk? Anyone have a good chocolate moist recipe to share. This Friday is my daughters 14 birthday and she's having a bunch of kids over and I'm baking a few dozen haah and any easy candy recipes? Thanks

Here's a delicious, very easy, moist, chocolatey cake from Hershey - I've made it many times. You can make it in a 9x13 pan or two 9-inch rounds. If using the rounds, I suggest using parchment paper for an easier release. You can also make them as cupcakes, as some of the reviewers did. I decrease the sugar to suit my taste, since I like things bittersweet:
Black Magic Cake…
It's also posted here with ratings and reviews:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-magic-cake/

To answer your question about milk, water or buttermilk - buttermilk and plain yogurt generally yield the most tender results, due to the acids reacting with the baking soda.

Last edited:
merstar said:
Here's a delicious, very easy, moist, chocolatey cake from Hershey - I've made it many times. You can make it in a 9x13 pan or two 9-inch rounds. If using the rounds, I suggest using parchment paper for an easier release. You can also make them as cupcakes, as some of the reviewers did. I decrease the sugar to suit my taste, since I like things bittersweet:
Black Magic Cake…

To answer your question about milk, water or buttermilk - buttermilk and plain yogurt generally yield the most tender results, due to the acids reacting with the baking soda.

Thanks and I'm going to bake this tomorrow for her birthday should I double recipe? I need a bunch

Thanks and I'm going to bake this tomorrow for her birthday should I double recipe? I need a bunch

No. Doubling a cake recipe does not work out very well. Just make two separate batters of the cake mix. I know it means more work, but up to mixing the liquid ingredients, you can do the dry ingredients for the second mix in a separate bowl beside the first one that you are working on. Then when you are done with the first cake mix, you can add the liquid ingredients to the second mix and finish it while your first cakes are in the oven. If you have to use the same cake pans, make sure they are thoroughly cool before you add the mix for the second cake. If you are in a hurry, turn the pans over and rinse the back in cold water to cool them down faster. :chef:

Addie said:
No. Doubling a cake recipe does not work out very well. Just make two separate batters of the cake mix. I know it means more work, but up to mixing the liquid ingredients, you can do the dry ingredients for the second mix in a separate bowl beside the first one that you are working on. Then when you are done with the first cake mix, you can add the liquid ingredients to the second mix and finish it while your first cakes are in the oven. If you have to use the same cake pans, make sure they are thoroughly cool before you add the mix for the second cake. If you are in a hurry, turn the pans over and rinse the back in cold water to cool them down faster. :chef:

Thank you and do you have a good frosting to go with it :)

Thank you and do you have a good frosting to go with it :)

On the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. It is not overly sweet and you can taste the chocolate. It is the only chocolate frosting I use. You can find the recipe at the Hershey's site. :chef:

If you're baking these as cupcakes, bake about 20-22 minutes. Let us know how they turn out!

merstar said:
Black Magic Cake…

I made this recipe and it was so good and moist. My husband and children and I all loved it! This is going to be the one I use for now on :) thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom