Help with eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lord Buttercream

Assistant Cook
Hey all,

I'm having a little trouble with egg flavor in my cake. I have several recipes that require the eggs for both flavor and fluffiness, but in the finished product, the texture is great but there is just a very slight flavor of egg competing with the other flavors. I also had that trouble with my Creme Anglaise.

I'm certain there's got to be a way other than using egg-free recipes to avoid this issue. Any ideas? My last cake would have been perfect if not for that slight eggy taste.

Thank you,
Jerry

Eggs do a lot of things in a cake. But I'd first try it with egg whites only. That's what EggBeaters is. The flavor is largely in the yolk. If you find that the cake loses some physical property that you miss, try egg substitute made for baking. I haven't used it, but there's a lot of chatter about Ener-G brand substitute for baking. It's mostly starches and leavening, because they're after the vegan market. The other tasteless substitutes people have reported are tofu and plain yogurt. I guess it might depend on the individual recipe as to whether you need to add something to fill in for some specific function, like emulsification, binding, etc.

I don't know. "Farm" eggs could mean different things, but my chickens run two acres all day and are meat eaters with a side of clover and sunflower seeds for an evening treat. Their eggs have considerable flavor.

Back
Top Bottom