Help with my pumpkin ricotta cake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
I made this pumpkin-ricotta cake, sort of right off the top of my head late last night. The flavour was gorgeous, but there was a wee bit of problem with consitency. When I pulled it out of the oven it seemed a little too flimsy even though the toothpick came out clean and dry. (I couldn't go on baking it further as the exterior was getting dangerously close to be burnt) A couple of hours later while it was still slightly warm, it seemed still too soggy. I wrapped it in a few layers of papertowel before I went to sleep, but I resigned to the fate that this turned out to be another one of misadventure. However this morning I found, to my surprise, the texture became almost perfect, nicely moist but not soggy or flimsy, only imperfection was a thin layer of dense (heavier and wetter) area near the bottom.

As there are so many baking experts in this forum, I was wondering if someone can offer a suggestion to improve this recipe, the consistency/texture in particular. Is it normal with this type of cake to leave overnight to attain a better texture? What can I do to avoid that dense layer at the bottom? To help you with the idea this was the recipe I invented...

Ingredients:
  • 160g / 5,5oz of pumpkin, boiled, mashed and well drained(originally it weighed about 450g / 1lb+ before cooking)
  • 3 eggs
  • 180g / 6oz sugar
  • 60g / 2oz+ brown sugar
  • 80g / 2,75oz melted butter
  • 250g / 8,5oz ricotta
  • a few drops of vanilla essence
  • 1/2 tea spoonful of cinnamon
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 100g / 3,5oz flour
  • 50g / 1,7oz potato starch (in Italy it is commonly used for the same purpose as corn flour)
  • 8g / 1/3,5oz baking powder
  • pinch of salt
I whisked the eggs with both sugar, then add the melted butter, whisked, add the pumpkin, whisked, then ricotta, whisked, vanilla+cinnamon+nutmeg, whisked more.
In this wet mixture I added the already combined dry ingredients, mixed well then poured into a buttered loaf pan, and baked it at 180°C/350F for about 45 minutes.

I suspect the problem might have been the oven temperature, should I have cooked at a slightly lower temperature so the inside would have cooked a little more without the outside getting cooked too soon? I would appreciate any suggestions as it tasted lovely and I think it will worth a retry for new and improved version!!
TIA:chef:

That sounds like a wonderful cake, licia! I've never worked with fresh pumpkin before:blush: so I don't know how its moisture content compares to canned, but I'm always surprised at how little liquid a recipe containing pumpkin requires compared to one that does not. Figure in the ricotta, melted butter and 3 eggs and you have a lot of moisture.

Soooo, maybe cut the eggs down to 2? Or how about trying a different shaped pan so there's more surface area to bake off? a 9x9" perhaps or a couple rounds?

Those are just guesses. Regardless, it sounds like you have a winner! Save me a slice from your next experiment! :)

This would be very close to our 'cheesecake', so I'm guessing you're right about lowering the oven temp a bit - say to 325F - and if you see the top starting to get too brown, cover it with foil.

The new issue of Bon Appetit has a pumpkin cheesecake w/ a caramel/bourbon sauce - as soon as I enter it in my 'puter, I'll post it!

Yes Stacey, I can smell a whopping success if I can adjust this recipe where I can get it right. I usually don't take setbacks very well and if I mess up with a certain recipe it takes a long long time, IF EVER, to pick up the nerve and try again. However this one tasted so good I can't wait to have a go again if I can find a solution to this little problem!! After tasting it I think it may be even better with some crumbled walnuts.
Thanks for your suggestion, I know it is always a really tricky balance, you would want your cake moist and fluffy, not soggy and dense, or dried out. I may cut down on the egg white as that contributes to a lot of moisture... In any case when I perfect this recipe I will make sure to post it for y'all!!
3.gif

marmalady said:
This would be very close to our 'cheesecake', so I'm guessing you're right about lowering the oven temp a bit - say to 325F - and if you see the top starting to get too brown, cover it with foil.

The new issue of Bon Appetit has a pumpkin cheesecake w/ a caramel/bourbon sauce - as soon as I enter it in my 'puter, I'll post it!

When I bake cheesecake (I use a combination of ricotta and mascarpone, but I use at least twice as much cheese and less flour), after the cake is well cooked I turn off the oven, and without opening the door I leave it in there for about two hours, to let it continue on slowcooking inside, so to speak. Maybe I could use this technique with this one too?

whoa, pumpkin cheesecake with caramel bourbon sauce... that makes my mouth water... I look forward to your post!!

Back
Top Bottom