Honey cake:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Traditionally served on Rosh Hashana (New Year) and day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) symbolic of our wishes for a sweet year.

My ants’ recipe:

1.5 cup honey

2 cup milk

2 cup sugar

1 stick margarine

All of the above ingredients put in the pot and slowly bring the heat up stirring up until margarine melts and mixture becomes smooth.

8 eggs

1.5 cup oil (I use corn oil)

5 to 6 cups flour

2 tbs cinnamon

1 tsp ground clove

2 tsp baking powder

You can add raisins or craraisins.

Some people add nuts, however nuts are not traditional during this particular time of the year, though can be added if cake is made some other time.

Mix all ingredients well (I use food processor), pour it into several loaf pans, depends on the size. Bake at 300-325 degrees for about an hour. Do not over bake so it doesn’t become to dry.

What a lovely looking recipe Charlie, thank-you for posting it :) Do you know (roughly) how many people this will serve, and what size loaf pans do you use? (Thanks :))

I use small pans, as it is traditional to ask for some cake before the holiday, thus, when somebody asks me for cake I have a nice small pan to give it away rather than simply a piece (some people do just that). My food processor ball, I believe is 5 quart. So it is quite a large cake. But if you make smaller pans, you can freeze them. Also, you can cut portion in half, it will still be plenty. I am going to make one today and will post tomorrow how much the portion yields.

GB Shana Tova, Gmar Ve Hasima Tova, and a gut gebenched yor to you, to your family. May the comming year be indeed a sweet year for everybody.

CharlieD said:
GB Shana Tova, Gmar Ve Hasima Tova, and a gut gebenched yor to you, to your family. May the comming year be indeed a sweet year for everybody.
That's beautiful Charlie, the same to you and your loved ones.

Thank-you for explaining the pans. I agree that it is much nicer to present someone with a whole cake rather than just a slice or two. Disposable foil pans are great for this (I've done this with Christmas fruit cake.)

Just finished baking the cake. Unfortunately the store did not have smaller pans, so I got Size: 8 x 3 and 7/8 x 2 and 15/32 all inches (obviously, what a goofy size too. Why can’t they make it 3 x4x8, what purpose those 15/32 serve?:ermm: ) pans. I think they were too big for my taste. I ended up with 4 of them. Would have liked to have the pans half the size.
P.S. A quick note do not pour more than 2/3 of a pan, as the cake will rise significantly.

Back
Top Bottom