"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 07-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post

I just tried a little bit of it on bread. It's wildflower honey. It tastes a bit different than clover honey. Not as sweet. But I did notice that one jar does not have the comb in it. So I'll use that one for the recipe and save the other for snacking or whatever.
I try to buy local honey whenever we travel, so good!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I try to buy local honey whenever we travel, so good!
Evidently this local farmer came into the store my Dh works at. I was just thinking of buying honey but those small little bear bottles are very pricey so I skipped it. This is a good sized jar, and plus its not that refined crap at the store.

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Evidently this local farmer came into the store my Dh works at. I was just thinking of buying honey but those small little bear bottles are very pricey so I skipped it. This is a good sized jar, and plus its not that refined crap at the store.
Lucky you! Lots of honey isn't honey, weird. Unless you buy local, it's not certain what you will get. Apparently, China is a honey broker, and will mix it with whatever.

I guess I'm a collector of honey, have some from TN, MN, WI, and my fave, Mexico. Unless it's local, not sure I want it.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Lucky you! Lots of honey isn't honey, weird. Unless you buy local, it's not certain what you will get. Apparently, China is a honey broker, and will mix it with whatever.

I guess I'm a collector of honey, have some from TN, MN, WI, and my fave, Mexico. Unless it's local, not sure I want it.
If I had my own land and could definitely keep the bees away from my Dh (he is allergic) then I'd love to raise bees for honey myself. It's a life long dream to have a mini farm where I can homestead. :)

Robin
Old 07-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

If I had my own land and could definitely keep the bees away from my Dh (he is allergic) then I'd love to raise bees for honey myself. It's a life long dream to have a mini farm where I can homestead. :)
I would love to have an apiary. We're lucky to still have wild bees here. Friends in other states haven't seen bees for some time.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Honey prices are high again this year. I read a book about raising bees in the city ... not for me though !
Old 07-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
Honey prices are high again this year. I read a book about raising bees in the city ... not for me though !
It was about $5 per jar. It's a mason jar (small one) like you'd buy for canning. Not sure how many oz they hold. Maybe 8 or 10?

Robin
Old 07-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

It was about $5 per jar. It's a mason jar (small one) like you'd buy for canning. Not sure how many oz they hold. Maybe 8 or 10?
That's a good price. I saw some local honey at a welcome center for $18!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
That's a good price. I saw some local honey at a welcome center for $18!
Yikes! No it wouldn't sell for that price here. We're in the poorest county in Ohio. No one can afford it. lol

Robin
Old 07-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #30
Sous Chef

I think a 5 b jar here is like $30. It's crazy.

Tags
cake, recipe

Honey cake [FONT=Bookman Old Style]Honey cake:[/FONT] [FONT=Bookman Old Style] [/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style] Traditionally this cake is served on Rosh Hashana (New Year) and day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) symbolic of our wishes for a sweet year.[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style] Also it is believed that one should be asking for a piece of Honey cake day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). If one to become so poor, during the next year that one is forced to ask for food, then this asking for honey cake will avert the need for that hypothetical asking/begin. [/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]My aunts’ recipe:[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]1.5 cup honey[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]2 cup milk (or non-dairy substitute, like coffee creamer works as well)[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]2 cup sugar[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]1 stick margarine[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]All of the above ingredients put in the pot and slowly bring the heat up stirring up until margarine melts and mixture becomes smooth. Doesn’t have to boil, just melt and mix together. Let it cool down a little bit so the dough doesn’t start cooking when this mixture is added.[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]I use food processor mix:[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style] [/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]8 eggs[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]1.5 cup oil (I use corn or vegetable oil)[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]5 to 6 cups flour[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]2 tbs cinnamon[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]1 tsp ground clove [/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]2 tsp baking powder[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]You can add raisins or craraisins, or even chocolate chips.[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]Some people add nuts, however nuts are traditionally not used during this particular time of the year, though can be added if cake is made some other time. [/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]Mix all ingredients well, pour it into several loaf pans depends on the size. Bake at 300-325 degrees for about an hour. Do not over bake so it doesn’t become to dry.[/FONT][/SIZE] 3 stars 1 reviews