Honey cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just tried a little bit of it on bread. It's wildflower honey. It tastes a bit different than clover honey. Not as sweet. But I did notice that one jar does not have the comb in it. So I'll use that one for the recipe and save the other for snacking or whatever.

I try to buy local honey whenever we travel, so good!

I try to buy local honey whenever we travel, so good!

Evidently this local farmer came into the store my Dh works at. I was just thinking of buying honey but those small little bear bottles are very pricey so I skipped it. This is a good sized jar, and plus its not that refined crap at the store. :)

Evidently this local farmer came into the store my Dh works at. I was just thinking of buying honey but those small little bear bottles are very pricey so I skipped it. This is a good sized jar, and plus its not that refined crap at the store. :)

Lucky you! Lots of honey isn't honey, weird. Unless you buy local, it's not certain what you will get. Apparently, China is a honey broker, and will mix it with whatever.

I guess I'm a collector of honey, have some from TN, MN, WI, and my fave, Mexico. Unless it's local, not sure I want it.

Lucky you! Lots of honey isn't honey, weird. Unless you buy local, it's not certain what you will get. Apparently, China is a honey broker, and will mix it with whatever.

I guess I'm a collector of honey, have some from TN, MN, WI, and my fave, Mexico. Unless it's local, not sure I want it.

If I had my own land and could definitely keep the bees away from my Dh (he is allergic) then I'd love to raise bees for honey myself. It's a life long dream to have a mini farm where I can homestead. :)

If I had my own land and could definitely keep the bees away from my Dh (he is allergic) then I'd love to raise bees for honey myself. It's a life long dream to have a mini farm where I can homestead. :)

I would love to have an apiary. We're lucky to still have wild bees here. Friends in other states haven't seen bees for some time.

Last edited:
Honey prices are high again this year. I read a book about raising bees in the city ... not for me though !

Honey prices are high again this year. I read a book about raising bees in the city ... not for me though !

It was about $5 per jar. It's a mason jar (small one) like you'd buy for canning. Not sure how many oz they hold. Maybe 8 or 10?

It was about $5 per jar. It's a mason jar (small one) like you'd buy for canning. Not sure how many oz they hold. Maybe 8 or 10?

That's a good price. I saw some local honey at a welcome center for $18!

Hm, that does look good. But does it have a strong coffee flavor? We don't drink coffee. Can I just omit or substitute that?

I would think so, just make sure you use the half cup of water. Maybe 2 tsp of cocoa powder instead of the coffee.

Last edited:
I think it's just use for the amber color of the cake. Not enough coffee to flavor the whole recipe.

I am sure coffee is for color just as I use cinamon for color too.

I love buchwheat honey. If you can get hold of it it is absolutelly the best.

I have just seen this, thanks Charlie, I will be trying this :)

Honey cake:

Traditionally this cake is served on Rosh Hashana (New Year) and day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) symbolic of our wishes for a sweet year.

Also it is believed that one should be asking for a piece of Honey cake day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). If one to become so poor, during the next year that one is forced to ask for food, then this asking for honey cake will avert the need for that hypothetical asking/begin.

My aunts’ recipe:

1.5 cup honey
2 cup milk (or non-dairy substitute, like coffee creamer works as well)
2 cup sugar
1 stick margarine

All of the above ingredients put in the pot and slowly bring the heat up stirring up until margarine melts and mixture becomes smooth. Doesn’t have to boil, just melt and mix together. Let it cool down a little bit so the dough doesn’t start cooking when this mixture is added.

I use food processor mix:

8 eggs
1.5 cup oil (I use corn or vegetable oil)
5 to 6 cups flour
2 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp ground clove
2 tsp baking powder
You can add raisins or craraisins, or even chocolate chips.
Some people add nuts, however nuts are traditionally not used during this particular time of the year, though can be added if cake is made some other time.

Mix all ingredients well, pour it into several loaf pans depends on the size. Bake at 300-325 degrees for about an hour. Do not over bake so it doesn’t become to dry.

Back
Top Bottom