Honey cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Honey cake:

Traditionally this cake is served on Rosh Hashana (New Year) and day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) symbolic of our wishes for a sweet year.

Also it is believed that one should be asking for a piece of Honey cake day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). If one to become so poor, during the next year that one is forced to ask for food, then this asking for honey cake will avert the need for that hypothetical asking/begin.

My aunts’ recipe:

1.5 cup honey
2 cup milk (or non-dairy substitute, like coffee creamer works as well)
2 cup sugar
1 stick margarine

All of the above ingredients put in the pot and slowly bring the heat up stirring up until margarine melts and mixture becomes smooth. Doesn’t have to boil, just melt and mix together. Let it cool down a little bit so the dough doesn’t start cooking when this mixture is added.

I use food processor mix:

8 eggs
1.5 cup oil (I use corn or vegetable oil)
5 to 6 cups flour
2 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp ground clove
2 tsp baking powder
You can add raisins or craraisins, or even chocolate chips.
Some people add nuts, however nuts are traditionally not used during this particular time of the year, though can be added if cake is made some other time.

Mix all ingredients well, pour it into several loaf pans depends on the size. Bake at 300-325 degrees for about an hour. Do not over bake so it doesn’t become to dry.

My Epicurious iGoogle gadget has a recipe for honey cake, cheese blintzes with blueberry sauce, and Rugelach this week. I was thinking about making their honey cake, which is baked in a bundt pan, but opted for a Cook's Country strawberry pie instead. I still might do the blintzes for Sunday brunch if I can find blueberries at a decent price because I have crepes in the refrigerator.

I baked it last night, see if I can add the picks.

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 313
Honey cake:

Traditionally this cake is served on Rosh Hashana (New Year) and day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) symbolic of our wishes for a sweet year.

Also it is believed that one should be asking for a piece of Honey cake day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). If one to become so poor, during the next year that one is forced to ask for food, then this asking for honey cake will avert the need for that hypothetical asking/begin.

My aunts’ recipe:

1.5 cup honey
2 cup milk (or non-dairy substitute, like coffee creamer works as well)
2 cup sugar
1 stick margarine

All of the above ingredients put in the pot and slowly bring the heat up stirring up until margarine melts and mixture becomes smooth. Doesn’t have to boil, just melt and mix together. Let it cool down a little bit so the dough doesn’t start cooking when this mixture is added.

I use food processor mix:

8 eggs
1.5 cup oil (I use corn or vegetable oil)
5 to 6 cups flour
2 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp ground clove
2 tsp baking powder
You can add raisins or craraisins, or even chocolate chips.
Some people add nuts, however nuts are traditionally not used during this particular time of the year, though can be added if cake is made some other time.

Mix all ingredients well, pour it into several loaf pans depends on the size. Bake at 300-325 degrees for about an hour. Do not over bake so it doesn’t become to dry.
Charlie mate this brought back some memories :)

My wife read the recipe and said that I made a million mistakes. Spelling is not my thing. Sorry about this.

The recipe made 10 small size pans. Baked at 325 deg for about 50-55 minutes. Made only 3 of them with rasins, as nobody in my family likes them. well, more for me.

Thanks for the recipe. They will make great gifts for the holidays!

Wow those look good, I just may make some, I am kind of a freak for honey, love the stuff.

I have some nice dark flavorful stuff from Trader Joe's and a couple of jars harvested from an orchard in Maine near my mom's house.

This recipe looks easy to cut in half, which I may do on my first run.

Last edited:
I like your cake,though i havent cooked yet...is it as sweet as raw honey?

I'm thinking about doing this. My Dh bought honey from a local farmer. Its raw (still has comb in it)

I don't want to make that much though. One loaf would be fine for us. What would I need to do to cut the portion down?

I would think that you could proportionally cut down everything to one loaf. Sounds like a pretty forgiving recipe.

Just please don't ask me to do it for you, I'm mathematically challenged!

I would think that you could proportionally cut down everything to one loaf. Sounds like a pretty forgiving recipe.

Just please don't ask me to do it for you, I'm mathematically challenged!

so am I lol

so am I lol

OK, Robin, upon eyeballing the recipe, I think we can do this.

I am not a baker. IMHO, the most important thing would be to cut back on the flour, eggs, and oil. The spices can be added to taste. I may have to search out some local honey just to try making the bread.

I think you might want to strain the comb out, it might change the texture. Just put it in a colander, save the wax for something else.

Last edited:
OK, Robin, upon eyeballing the recipe, I think we can do this.

I am not a baker. IMHO, the most important thing would be to cut back on the flour, eggs, and oil. The spices can be added to taste. I may have to search out some local honey just to try making the bread.

I think you might want to strain the comb out, it might change the texture. Just put it in a colander, save the wax for something else.

I just tried a little bit of it on bread. It's wildflower honey. It tastes a bit different than clover honey. Not as sweet. But I did notice that one jar does not have the comb in it. So I'll use that one for the recipe and save the other for snacking or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom