"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Master Chef

Honey cake

Honey cake:

Traditionally this cake is served on Rosh Hashana (New Year) and day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) symbolic of our wishes for a sweet year.

Also it is believed that one should be asking for a piece of Honey cake day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). If one to become so poor, during the next year that one is forced to ask for food, then this asking for honey cake will avert the need for that hypothetical asking/begin.

My aunts’ recipe:

1.5 cup honey
2 cup milk (or non-dairy substitute, like coffee creamer works as well)
2 cup sugar
1 stick margarine

All of the above ingredients put in the pot and slowly bring the heat up stirring up until margarine melts and mixture becomes smooth. Doesn’t have to boil, just melt and mix together. Let it cool down a little bit so the dough doesn’t start cooking when this mixture is added.

I use food processor mix:

8 eggs
1.5 cup oil (I use corn or vegetable oil)
5 to 6 cups flour
2 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp ground clove
2 tsp baking powder
You can add raisins or craraisins, or even chocolate chips.
Some people add nuts, however nuts are traditionally not used during this particular time of the year, though can be added if cake is made some other time.

Mix all ingredients well, pour it into several loaf pans depends on the size. Bake at 300-325 degrees for about an hour. Do not over bake so it doesn’t become to dry.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Executive Chef

My Epicurious iGoogle gadget has a recipe for honey cake, cheese blintzes with blueberry sauce, and Rugelach this week. I was thinking about making their honey cake, which is baked in a bundt pan, but opted for a Cook's Country strawberry pie instead. I still might do the blintzes for Sunday brunch if I can find blueberries at a decent price because I have crepes in the refrigerator.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
Senior Cook

That sounds great CharlieD!

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Master Chef

I baked it last night, see if I can add the picks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	12157   Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	12158  

Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	12159  
Old 10-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Honey cake:

Traditionally this cake is served on Rosh Hashana (New Year) and day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) symbolic of our wishes for a sweet year.

Also it is believed that one should be asking for a piece of Honey cake day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). If one to become so poor, during the next year that one is forced to ask for food, then this asking for honey cake will avert the need for that hypothetical asking/begin.

My aunts’ recipe:

1.5 cup honey
2 cup milk (or non-dairy substitute, like coffee creamer works as well)
2 cup sugar
1 stick margarine

All of the above ingredients put in the pot and slowly bring the heat up stirring up until margarine melts and mixture becomes smooth. Doesn’t have to boil, just melt and mix together. Let it cool down a little bit so the dough doesn’t start cooking when this mixture is added.

I use food processor mix:

8 eggs
1.5 cup oil (I use corn or vegetable oil)
5 to 6 cups flour
2 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp ground clove
2 tsp baking powder
You can add raisins or craraisins, or even chocolate chips.
Some people add nuts, however nuts are traditionally not used during this particular time of the year, though can be added if cake is made some other time.

Mix all ingredients well, pour it into several loaf pans depends on the size. Bake at 300-325 degrees for about an hour. Do not over bake so it doesn’t become to dry.
Charlie mate this brought back some memories
Old 10-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Master Chef

My wife read the recipe and said that I made a million mistakes. Spelling is not my thing. Sorry about this.

The recipe made 10 small size pans. Baked at 325 deg for about 50-55 minutes. Made only 3 of them with rasins, as nobody in my family likes them. well, more for me.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Charlie mate this brought back some memories
Memories do come alive with a little bit of afford, you know.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Thanks for the recipe. They will make great gifts for the holidays!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Charlie to you and yours......may your name be incribed in the book of life....L'Shano Tova......
Old 10-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Wow those look good, I just may make some, I am kind of a freak for honey, love the stuff.

I have some nice dark flavorful stuff from Trader Joe's and a couple of jars harvested from an orchard in Maine near my mom's house.

This recipe looks easy to cut in half, which I may do on my first run.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cake, recipe

Honey cake [FONT=Bookman Old Style]Honey cake:[/FONT] [FONT=Bookman Old Style] [/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style] Traditionally this cake is served on Rosh Hashana (New Year) and day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) symbolic of our wishes for a sweet year.[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style] Also it is believed that one should be asking for a piece of Honey cake day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). If one to become so poor, during the next year that one is forced to ask for food, then this asking for honey cake will avert the need for that hypothetical asking/begin. [/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]My aunts’ recipe:[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]1.5 cup honey[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]2 cup milk (or non-dairy substitute, like coffee creamer works as well)[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]2 cup sugar[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]1 stick margarine[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]All of the above ingredients put in the pot and slowly bring the heat up stirring up until margarine melts and mixture becomes smooth. Doesn’t have to boil, just melt and mix together. Let it cool down a little bit so the dough doesn’t start cooking when this mixture is added.[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]I use food processor mix:[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style] [/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]8 eggs[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]1.5 cup oil (I use corn or vegetable oil)[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]5 to 6 cups flour[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]2 tbs cinnamon[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]1 tsp ground clove [/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]2 tsp baking powder[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]You can add raisins or craraisins, or even chocolate chips.[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]Some people add nuts, however nuts are traditionally not used during this particular time of the year, though can be added if cake is made some other time. [/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]Mix all ingredients well, pour it into several loaf pans depends on the size. Bake at 300-325 degrees for about an hour. Do not over bake so it doesn’t become to dry.[/FONT][/SIZE] 3 stars 1 reviews