Honeycake falls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Papa

Assistant Cook
My wife makes a delicious honey cake but she is very unhappy with it because the top always falls and it has a liquid center. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and steps to fix it?

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

In order to figure out the problem, it would be helpful for us to see your wife's recipe. Can you post it?

I would really love to see the recipe because my husband and I harvested some honey from our own hives for the first time this year.

Welcome to DC.

Generally speaking, if a cake is sinking in the center and liquid, it means it's undercooked.

Got Garlic,
3 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinammon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp powdered cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
4 eggs
3/4 C sugar
4 Tb Salad oil
2 C dark honey
1/2 C coffee
1 1/2 C walnuts (optional)

Use 2 9-inch loaf pans at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

Andy M,
She's tried overbaking for an extra 1/4 hour. Also, she's tried a slightly higher and also a lower temp.

Got Garlic,
3 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinammon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp powdered cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
4 eggs
3/4 C sugar
4 Tb Salad oil
2 C dark honey
1/2 C coffee
1 1/2 C walnuts (optional)

Use 2 9-inch loaf pans at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

Andy M,
She's tried overbaking for an extra 1/4 hour. Also, she's tried a slightly higher and also a lower temp.

Wow that's a lot of liquid for the flour.

I agree, GG and Andy. Maybe reduce to 3 eggs and 1 cup honey.

I wouldn't try to adjust the current recipe. It could involve several trials and errors.

I recommend Googling "honey cake recipes" and choose a better one.

My honey cake did not come out this year either, It's the first one. Honey cake, well traditional Jewish Honey cake baked for rosh Hashanah, and judging by the recipe we are talking about that kind of honey cake does use a lot of liquid. Here is the recipe I use and it uses even more liquid.

My aunts’ recipe:

1.5 cup honey
2 cup milk (or non-dairy substitute, like coffee creamer works as well)
2 cup sugar
1 stick margarine

All of the above ingredients put in the pot and slowly bring the heat up stirring up until margarine melts and mixture becomes smooth. Doesn’t have to boil, just melt and mix together. Let it cool down so the eggs and the dough don’t start cooking when this mixture is added.

1.5 cup oil (I use corn or vegetable oil)
8 eggs

Mix together; slowly add to the mixture above constantly mixing.

I use Kitchen Aid stand up mixer:

6 cups flour, sifted
2 Tbs. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground clove
2 tsp. baking powder

You can add other spices if you like, like dry ginger for example, also can add raisins or craisins, or even chocolate chips.
Some people add nuts.

Start the Mixer slowly. First mix all dry ingredients well, and then pour the liquid and mix until smooth. You will have the 5 quart bowl nearly full, (the recipe can be cut in half). Pour the batter into several loaf pans, I use the small aluminum disposable pans and usually end up with 10 loaves. Depends on the size of the pan, bake at 300-325 degrees for about an hour. Do not over bake so it doesn’t become to dry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom