How BAD would using margarine instead of butter be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyema

Chef Extraordinaire
My dairy-allergic friend looked at a lemon pound cake in one of my cooking mags and started salivating ...

How bad would it be to make a pound cake with margerine instead of butter. My first reaction is EWWWW. But that's because I think it is bad, bad stuff. I do make pie crusts with that and crisco and they aren't that bad.

But has anyone else made a pound cake with all margerine?

I've never done it, but would recommend using the older style of stick margerine rather than the whipped tub style stuff. I suspect it would more closely approximate the performance of butter.

Would butter flavored Crisco work?

I have used the sticks of butter flavored Crisco (it came in 3 1-cup sticks to a package) and they are great for cakes from my experience - you just need to follow the directions on the package and compensate for the water in butter and margarine (1 cup Crisco + 6 teaspoons water = 2 sticks butter or margarine).

To me, margarine has no buttery flavor - and ironically the butter flavored Crisco has more butter flavor than the pure sweet cream (unsalted) butter you buy in the grocery store!

This would be a hard pressed solution if I were in your shoes though how about trying "I can't believe it's not butter"? I know you CAN indeed believe it's not butter when you taste it, but still it tastes better than regular margarine...

TNX ALL!

I think Andy is right that it needs to be in a stick for baking, as the tubs have so much water added. Does "I can't beleive" come in stick form?

I thought butter-flavored crisco tasted like the fake butter from movie popcorn ... or did I confuse that with another butter flavored spread thingie?

jennyema, I use the baking margarine for a lot of my baking and have made pound cake with it. It is not as rich tasting, but it DOES work.

jennyema said:
Does "I can't beleive" come in stick form?

Yes they do. Unless they stop making them since I left the US more than 5 years ago... It was the favourite of my ex so I remember well. I always saw them both in tubs and in stick forms. (1 pound package with 4 sticks).

If a good quality margarine is used, I would think it would taste fine. It would be different than butter, of course, but should taste fine, especially if a good quality extract is also used. My mother used margarine in her baking because some didn't like butter.

Thanks all. This may be my weekend project. Though I did have to explain to my friend where the term "Pound" cake came from and all that fat seemed alarming.

I love pound cake and can always bring the leftovers to work.

Will let you know how it comes out.

When I grew up, always had margarine. Our families had to watch the pennies.

As I grew up, and got to go to restaurants, always wondered why I liked the 'butter' so much. Duh? Never made the connection.

For years, as a married couple we always used margarine. Then we found 'I can't believe it is not butter', and found it the best of the lot.

Now we use butter and nothing else. Both have to watch our diets, but there is nothing better than pure butter and you only live once.

But, given your restrictions for your friend, would try the 'I cannot believe...........' stuff.

No guarantee, but think it will work.

Please let us know.

:) Maybe you could try Smart Balance its really good and good for you and you can use it just like butter.After that I would poke holes in bread after it comes out of oven and put lots and lots of lemon glaze on it

I didn't know you could use Smart Balance like butter - in baking, too? I have been buying it, but it is so firm in the fridge I wondered how good it could be. I thought things that were so hydrogenated weren't good for us. I'm befuddled all the time from one news report to another.

:) Oh dear Licia,
Actually its not hydrogenated.Zero trans fat. If you look real close it says great for cooking,baking,frying & table use right under where it says keep refridgerated.Check the ingredients they are quite healthy.And it tastes great dont you agree?About as close to butter as you can get.
It's been endorsed by professional chefs.

Last edited:
I want to talk not about the cake it self, but looking at the allergy problem I want to mention that majority of margerins on the market are, in fact, partialy dairy products, so if you do use it you have to make sure that it is dairy free.
Now, about the cake, I think I'd use vegitable shortening, in my practice it worked for non-dairy alternative.

CharlieD said:
I want to talk not about the cake it self, but looking at the allergy problem I want to mention that majority of margerins on the market are, in fact, partialy dairy products, so if you do use it you have to make sure that it is dairy free.
Now, about the cake, I think I'd use vegitable shortening, in my practice it worked for non-dairy alternative.

Charlie,

You are so right about reading the ingredients. I learned a while ago (the hard way) about some margerines containing dairy. I ususlly use Fleishman's or Mama's (when I can find it).

My main concern about anything not in a stick is the water content.

THANKS ALL!

Hey jennyema, I just got an email about margarine vs butter, I'm going to post it. Just for fun. I knew most of the info on it anyway, but it still made my tummy heave a little.

I can't speak for pound cake, but I used to make many/most of my cakes with Land 'O Lakes stick margarine. Then, butter regarded as "bad" and margarine as "good." Anyway, the cakes turned out well. If you're concerned about missing the buttery flavor, perhaps you could add butter extract. Just a suggestion.

:chef:Dakota

jennyema said:
My dairy-allergic friend looked at a lemon pound cake in one of my cooking mags and started salivating ...

How bad would it be to make a pound cake with margerine instead of butter. My first reaction is EWWWW. But that's because I think it is bad, bad stuff. I do make pie crusts with that and crisco and they aren't that bad.

But has anyone else made a pound cake with all margerine?

I make pound cake with butter. Re Butter vs Margarine:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/butter-vs-margarine-17405.html?highlight=butter+margarine

I haven't tried this, but see what you think re the sour cream/marg.

http://www.dietbites.com/diet-lemon-pound-cake.html

Last edited:
Here's a recipe for pound cake from the Crisco people...I'd use the butter flavor, if I were you...it's great for pastries and baking.

Golden Pound Cake

1-1/4 cups CRISCO
2 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs
2-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 325ºF.
In mixing bowl, blend the Crisco and granulated sugar thoroughly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add alternately with milk, vanilla, and lemon extract to shortening-sugar mixture. Beat until mixture is smooth.
Turn batter into a well-greased and floured 10-inch fluted tube pan. Bake at 325ºF for 1 hour or till cake tests done. Cool 1 hour; remove cake from pan and cool completely on rack. To serve, sprinkle cake with confectioners sugar.

I've never made a pound cake, but my Grandma Snarr did, and I remember her saying, "A lb. of butter, lb. of sugar, lb. of eggs, lb. of flour."

Back
Top Bottom