"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Maybe you could try Smart Balance its really good and good for you and you can use it just like butter.After that I would poke holes in bread after it comes out of oven and put lots and lots of lemon glaze on it

Old 03-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I didn't know you could use Smart Balance like butter - in baking, too? I have been buying it, but it is so firm in the fridge I wondered how good it could be. I thought things that were so hydrogenated weren't good for us. I'm befuddled all the time from one news report to another.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Oh dear Licia,
Actually its not hydrogenated.Zero trans fat. If you look real close it says great for cooking,baking,frying & table use right under where it says keep refridgerated.Check the ingredients they are quite healthy.And it tastes great dont you agree?About as close to butter as you can get.
It's been endorsed by professional chefs.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:55 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Jenny, I've used Fleischman's margarine in vegan cakes with excellent results.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #15
Master Chef

I want to talk not about the cake it self, but looking at the allergy problem I want to mention that majority of margerins on the market are, in fact, partialy dairy products, so if you do use it you have to make sure that it is dairy free.
Now, about the cake, I think I'd use vegitable shortening, in my practice it worked for non-dairy alternative.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I want to talk not about the cake it self, but looking at the allergy problem I want to mention that majority of margerins on the market are, in fact, partialy dairy products, so if you do use it you have to make sure that it is dairy free.
Now, about the cake, I think I'd use vegitable shortening, in my practice it worked for non-dairy alternative.

Charlie,

You are so right about reading the ingredients. I learned a while ago (the hard way) about some margerines containing dairy. I ususlly use Fleishman's or Mama's (when I can find it).

My main concern about anything not in a stick is the water content.

THANKS ALL!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #17
Everymom

Hey jennyema, I just got an email about margarine vs butter, I'm going to post it. Just for fun. I knew most of the info on it anyway, but it still made my tummy heave a little.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I can't speak for pound cake, but I used to make many/most of my cakes with Land 'O Lakes stick margarine. Then, butter regarded as "bad" and margarine as "good." Anyway, the cakes turned out well. If you're concerned about missing the buttery flavor, perhaps you could add butter extract. Just a suggestion.

Dakota
Old 03-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
My dairy-allergic friend looked at a lemon pound cake in one of my cooking mags and started salivating ...

How bad would it be to make a pound cake with margerine instead of butter. My first reaction is EWWWW. But that's because I think it is bad, bad stuff. I do make pie crusts with that and crisco and they aren't that bad.

But has anyone else made a pound cake with all margerine?
I make pound cake with butter. Re Butter vs Margarine:

Butter vs Margarine

I haven't tried this, but see what you think re the sour cream/marg.

http://www.dietbites.com/diet-lemon-pound-cake.html
Old 03-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #20
Master Chef

Here's a recipe for pound cake from the Crisco people...I'd use the butter flavor, if I were you...it's great for pastries and baking.

Golden Pound Cake

1-1/4 cups CRISCO
2 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs
2-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 325F.
In mixing bowl, blend the Crisco and granulated sugar thoroughly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add alternately with milk, vanilla, and lemon extract to shortening-sugar mixture. Beat until mixture is smooth.
Turn batter into a well-greased and floured 10-inch fluted tube pan. Bake at 325F for 1 hour or till cake tests done. Cool 1 hour; remove cake from pan and cool completely on rack. To serve, sprinkle cake with confectioners sugar.

I've never made a pound cake, but my Grandma Snarr did, and I remember her saying, "A lb. of butter, lb. of sugar, lb. of eggs, lb. of flour."

Tags
None