"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-12-2006, 06:59 AM   #11
Executive Chef

White cakes are usuallly flavored w/vanilla, as are yellow; most of them are just an empty palatte for the frosting - ie coconut cake, lemon cake, strawberry/raspberry cake, etc.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:37 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
White cakes are usuallly flavored w/vanilla, as are yellow; most of them are just an empty palatte for the frosting - ie coconut cake, lemon cake, strawberry/raspberry cake, etc.
Lemon cake and rasberry cake aren't defined by their frosting. I've had a lot of lemon cake in my life, because its the favorite of many family members, and its definatly the actual cake that has the lemon flavor.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:54 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I'm aware of that; however, many times you use a white or yellow, vanilla-flavored cake w/strawberry or lemon filling in it.

I'd really suggest you do some googling around with cakes/flavorings, and see what you come with.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
I'm aware of that; however, many times you use a white or yellow, vanilla-flavored cake w/strawberry or lemon filling in it.

I'd really suggest you do some googling around with cakes/flavorings, and see what you come with.
I did. I got, "Web definitions for yellow cake The U308 uranium concentrate used by nuclear power plants in Angra dos Reis in Rio de Janeiro State. It is a radioactive substance made from a low-grade uranium ore." And some bad ones for pretty much all of them but devil's food cake. Actually there is a good one for German chocolate too I just realized, but the others have some rather odd answers.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Okay, from a quik glance at a few googled recipes, All-American chocolate cake is made with shortening, whereas German chocolate cake is made with butter but thats the only real difference in the cake I can gather. Again, thats the actual CAKE difference. I know that there's coconut and sometimes caramel in the frosting/filling of German chocolate cake.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
Head Chef

Wow, I have had a giggle at all these cake definitions.

In UK its chocolate cake, regardless of the colour of the cake, but I think it is slightly less common to use a non-chocolate cake with choc icing/frosting here.

Other, non flavoured cake is "sponge cake", so it would be a sponge with lemon icing as the description, and yess, the flavour would be lemon cake if the sponge too was lemon flavoured with jam and cream is Victoria sponge, then there is the longer lasting butter rich Genoise, and Madeira Cake (a rich heavy sponge) in fact there are a lot of different types.

I rarely make just chocolate cake, its usually a flavour, like chocolate almond, or chocolate coconut etc.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Lulu
I'm with you.... some of the American terms for cakes amaze me... the 'Red Velvet' for instance.

We have a much simpler recipe system! I love madeira cake and use it for things like Battenberg.

Tags
None