"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 08-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
How do I add moisture in cakes?

For some reason my cakes come out very dry and not as fluffy as a cake should be...

A university student in New Zealand.
Ardor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Senior Cook
How much oil are you using in your cake? I sub at least half of the oil using applesauce. Perhaps you are baking it at too high a temperature...do you have an oven thermometer? My stove is old and today I set it at 350 and when I checked it the thermometer read 425.

bjcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Mine was 25 degrees low, Beej. I knew my cooking wasn't coming out perfect (for me ) so I bought an oven therm too.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
Senior Cook
You can always brush the cake with simple syrup or some flavored liqueur before frosting. This will allow you to save the cakes that you have already baked, but I agree that your oven temp may be too high. Assuming that you are making the cake from scratch and not using a boxed mix you can also vary the ingredients. Too much flour and eggs (whites) can dry out a cake. Ingredients that add moisture are sugar and fats. Substituting vegetable oil for butter in a recipe will also make a more moist cake. Remember, baking ingredients are by weight and not volume and so a cup of moist flour will weigh more than a cup of dry flour. You may need to reduce the volume of flour in very moist weather.

With respect to the density of the cake you appear to have a leavening problem. Too little leaving will cause a dense cake, but surprisingly too much leaving may also cause the cake to be too dense. If you don't add enough leavening too few bubbles will be generated and the cake will be dense. If you add too much leavening the bubbles will be large and break and also increase the density. A teaspoon of baking powder per cup of flour is a good ratio rule of thumb. If you have a cake recipe that calls for a higher acidic content (such as orange juice or buttermilk) and you use baking soda then the ratio is 1/4 teaspoon for each cup of flour.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
Master Chef
I went on the internet at www.Ask.com and asked "how to make moist cakes" and couldn't believe how many places there were with some answers. Maybe you can find some help there.
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Howdy im a pastry guru can you post your recipe i mightbe able to help you

it tends to do with ratios of dry to liquid etc.

if you send me ur recipe via pm thread email whatever ill look at it for you :)
Behind Every Good Woman... Is herself
Chef_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Master Chef
Ardor - I hope you post your recipe, and what you did, here in the forum and not in a PM so that all of us can learn from your experience.

Sometimes ... it's just as simple as the flour you used ...
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:58 AM   #8
Assistant Cook
Oh, i was just playing around, so there was no real recipe per say. I did only use 1/2 the amount of butter suggested.

I just wanted to fish for the general ratio of ingredients for a basic cake is all...
A university student in New Zealand.
Ardor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
I ALWAYS add a few TBSP instant pudding mix to my cake ingredients- whether using a mix that has pudding added or a scratch recipe. I also measure the water or milk (I usually use milk in place of water) & oil GENEROUSLY- adding probably an additional TBSP of each. Too much oil and the cake realy tastes oily though, so don't over do.
My thoughts are that even if the pudding mix doesn't add additional moisture I think it must help hold onto the moisture during the baking process.
By substituting milk for water you are adding more fat to the mixture also, which will help moisten. In a very delicate recipe- I only sub out half the water for milk because you don't want to mess with the fat ratio too much, but in most recipes I have not found this to be a problem.
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #10
Master Chef
Using cake flour instead of AP flour wil not make a cake moister, per se, but will give in a more tender crumb.

Baking a cake without a tried and true recipe can be a mistake, as it's about chemistry.

jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote