How do I add moisture in cakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardor

Assistant Cook
For some reason my cakes come out very dry and not as fluffy as a cake should be...

How much oil are you using in your cake? I sub at least half of the oil using applesauce. Perhaps you are baking it at too high a temperature...do you have an oven thermometer? My stove is old and today I set it at 350 and when I checked it the thermometer read 425.

Mine was 25 degrees low, Beej. I knew my cooking wasn't coming out perfect (for me:rolleyes: ) so I bought an oven therm too.

You can always brush the cake with simple syrup or some flavored liqueur before frosting. This will allow you to save the cakes that you have already baked, but I agree that your oven temp may be too high. Assuming that you are making the cake from scratch and not using a boxed mix you can also vary the ingredients. Too much flour and eggs (whites) can dry out a cake. Ingredients that add moisture are sugar and fats. Substituting vegetable oil for butter in a recipe will also make a more moist cake. Remember, baking ingredients are by weight and not volume and so a cup of moist flour will weigh more than a cup of dry flour. You may need to reduce the volume of flour in very moist weather.

With respect to the density of the cake you appear to have a leavening problem. Too little leaving will cause a dense cake, but surprisingly too much leaving may also cause the cake to be too dense. If you don't add enough leavening too few bubbles will be generated and the cake will be dense. If you add too much leavening the bubbles will be large and break and also increase the density. A teaspoon of baking powder per cup of flour is a good ratio rule of thumb. If you have a cake recipe that calls for a higher acidic content (such as orange juice or buttermilk) and you use baking soda then the ratio is 1/4 teaspoon for each cup of flour.

Last edited:
I went on the internet at www.Ask.com and asked "how to make moist cakes" and couldn't believe how many places there were with some answers. Maybe you can find some help there. :chef:

Last edited:
Howdy im a pastry guru can you post your recipe i mightbe able to help you

it tends to do with ratios of dry to liquid etc.

if you send me ur recipe via pm thread email whatever ill look at it for you :)

Ardor - I hope you post your recipe, and what you did, here in the forum and not in a PM so that all of us can learn from your experience.

Sometimes ... it's just as simple as the flour you used ...

Oh, i was just playing around, so there was no real recipe per say. I did only use 1/2 the amount of butter suggested.

I just wanted to fish for the general ratio of ingredients for a basic cake is all...

I ALWAYS add a few TBSP instant pudding mix to my cake ingredients- whether using a mix that has pudding added or a scratch recipe. I also measure the water or milk (I usually use milk in place of water) & oil GENEROUSLY- adding probably an additional TBSP of each. Too much oil and the cake realy tastes oily though, so don't over do.
My thoughts are that even if the pudding mix doesn't add additional moisture I think it must help hold onto the moisture during the baking process.
By substituting milk for water you are adding more fat to the mixture also, which will help moisten. In a very delicate recipe- I only sub out half the water for milk because you don't want to mess with the fat ratio too much, but in most recipes I have not found this to be a problem.
:)

Using cake flour instead of AP flour wil not make a cake moister, per se, but will give in a more tender crumb.

Baking a cake without a tried and true recipe can be a mistake, as it's about chemistry.

Trial & error! We learn from our mistakes don't we?
I agree, changing a recipe can be somewhat of a chemistry lesson.
The ingredient ratios are important. I try to make small adjustments at a time, and if you alter one ingredient- try to balance it out.
Live a little & experiment! Worst case scenerio- you end up with a product that must be consumed only by those in your home- as they have come to realize that this is the only way they get any goodies- being the guinea pigs!:LOL:

The general ratio of fat to oil for a very moist cake, or any kind of quickbread is 3 tbs. fat per cup of flour. That alwasy gives me good results.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed fo the North

Same problem...

Hi All,

I have the same problem. I've been fighting with a lemon drizzle cake for quite sometime now. I've tried many different recipes... The one below seems to be a simple good one but it still dry!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alex

INGREDIENTS
2 eggs
4 tablespoons milk
175g self raising flour
grated zest of one unwaxed lemon
juice of lemon
1 tablespoon icing sugar
175g butter(softened)
175g caster sugar
1. Cream butter and sugar. Gradually beat in eggs and milk.
2. Fold in flour with lemon zest.
3. Spoon mixture into greased 2 lb loaf tin.
4. Bake gas mark 4/ electric 180c/ fan 160c for 55-65 mins until golden brown.
5. Mix lemon juice and icing sugar (you may need extra sugar) to make a thin paste. Pour over cake as soon as removed from oven. Allow glaze to set before removing from tin. Set on wire rack to cool completely.

Using cake flour instead of AP flour wil not make a cake moister, per se, but will give in a more tender crumb.

Baking a cake without a tried and true recipe can be a mistake, as it's about chemistry.
:) Cake flour is great but it doesnt work at high altitudes it just isn't strong enough.And yes you need a real recipe as baking is science but cooking is art.

There are several things you can do to make cakes moister.

Most yellow cakes start with 1/2 cup of butter or shortening and 1 to 1-1/2 cups of sugar that you cream.

For a yellow cake I add 2 tablespoons of butter for 1 cup of sugar and 4 tablespoons of butter for 1-1/2 cups of sugar.

Then there is the creaming..... it is so very important that you do a good job of creaming. This is where most people make their mistakes. You cannot over cream; but under creaming will make a tough dry cake. I cream at least 6 minutes, sometimes longer if I think it needs it.

Then there are the eggs. Most cakes call for two eggs.... I use 3.

Then you add your flavorings....don't skimp here either. Most cakes call for 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla or other flavorings. I double that.

Then you have your milk. Most cakes use 1 cup of milk for 2 cups of flour. Some cakes use buttermilk and soda to raise the cake. Big mistake! You will get a cake with the taste and texture of sweet cornbread.

I use 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup of regular milk and raise with 1-tablespoon baking powder plus 1/2 teaspoon baking soda for the acid in the sour cream.

Then there is the flour... I use 2 cups sifted all purpose flour and 1 cup of almond flour. The almond flour gives the cake a moist texture and a wonderful taste.

If you don’t keep almond flour on hand you can make your own almond flour by putting 1 cup of sliced almonds in a food processor with your 2 cups of AP flour and process until it all looks like flour.

This is the recipe for yellow cake that I use for everyday baking.

Moist Yellow Cake

INGREDIENTS
1/2-cup shortening
4 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1-tablespoon vanilla extract

1/2-cup sour cream
1/2-cup milk

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup almond flour (1 cup sliced almonds ground to flour in a food processor)
1-tablespoon baking powder
1/2-teaspoon baking soda
1-teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350° or 325° if using dark or coated pans.

Spray with spray oil then line (3) 9-inch round cake pans with wax or parchment paper or one 9”x13” cake pan. (Cut the paper to fit then spray the pan and put the paper in place then spray the paper.)

Sift together the flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.

*In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, at least 6 minutes.

**Beat in the eggs one at a time, and then stir in the vanilla.

Combine the sour cream and milk, mix well.

Beginning and ending with the flour mixture beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Once all ingredients are incorporated beat on medium speed for 3 minutes Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove to cooling racks. This cake is very tender and will tear very easily so you must handle it with care.

Cool completely before frosting.

*Cook’s note- I put my fats and sugar in my mixer and let it cream while I prepare my pans, measure my dry ingredients and measure out my wet ingredients. You save time doing it this way.

**Cook’s note- When you are beating the eggs in you want to beat them in one at a time; think mayonnaise here. You are making an emulation so you want to beat each egg for about two minutes.

I had planned to make a cake today so I went ahead and made this recipe.

I used this frosting:
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

1 stick plus 3 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/4-cup milk
1/4-teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons vanilla
1 pound powered sugar
6 tablespoons sifted cocoa

In a large bowl, mix butter, milk, salt, vanilla, cocoa, and half the sugar.

Beat on low speed until mixed well. Slowly add the rest of the sugar until all mixed in, then beat on high speed until light and fluffy.

Cover with damp towel until ready to use.

img_539779_0_8899fc3edec2be32f715334cbe0f5f19.jpg

Has anyone tried using mayonnaise? I heard this also makes a cake moist.

Mayonaise cakes use slightly more mayo than an equivalent amount of oil. This adds more moisture to the cake as the mayo is primarily made of oil. The egg from the mayo adds extra body without toughening the cake. In addition, the flavor profile of mayo, at least Helman's or Best Foods brands, adds a distinctively nutty flavor to chocolate cakes. I don't understand how, but know that it's true from experience. Chocolate-mayonaise cakes are deliscious.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom