"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 08-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Exclamation How do I keep my cheesecake from caving in the middle?

I've been making cheesecakes off and on for a couple of years now. I remember when I first started the cakes were beautiful but I've managed to lose that recipe. Now the recipes I've been using all call for egg. When I use all the eggs required it will rise and then after cooling the center of the cake will cave in. The last few times I've tried cutting down on the eggs thinking maybe that would help but the texture isn't smooth. It's more like cottage cheese. What am I doing wrong? I've promised a friend cheesecake for his birthday this weekend and I don't want to show up with curdled cheesecake!

schoeneaugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
It's undercooked. Try baking it in a water bath at 325 for a bit longer than you have been cooking it. It's done when you can shake the pan and the very center still wobbles, a bit like jello does.

Unless you've got whipped egg white going into it? It'll naturally fall in that case.

ChefScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
I don't suppose I could stick it back in the oven, ha! I've never tried the water bath thing before. I was never sure was it was until about a week ago so it intimidated me severely. It was quite wobbly when I took it out so perhaps it was just undercooked. The top had already started browning so perhaps I'll try putting it on the lower rack.

Any other suggestions are still welcome!
schoeneaugen is offline   Reply With Quote