"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How do I keep pound cake from burning on the outside?

Recently I made a sour cream pound cake from a recipe. The measures on the recipe were about a 1/3 larger than I was expecting, but I followed the directions and put the batter in the pan. The cake was supposed to cook for 1 1/4 hours to 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees. Fine. I came back at 1 1/4 hours and found that the outside was a deep golden brown, actually pretty perfect. But then when I stuck my toothpick into the cake, it came out all gooey on the inside. I left the cake for another 15 minutes. Came back and it had gotten darker. The toothpick test revealed that the inside still had a way to go. I turned the oven down to 300 degrees and left the cake there for another half hour. When I came back, the top was a bit too dark, but the inside was acceptably finished.

Here's my question: is there something I can do to make sure the cake cooks on the inside without burning on the outside?

Old 03-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
no not really, beyond using less mix or getting a large vessel to contain this mix.

those are really the only 2 options you have if the temp is to be taken literaly, perhaps doing it at say 320 or even 300 would have lessend the effect, but may not have turned out as perfect as it should have been.

you have Temp, volume, and mass density to consider, geometry also plays a part too.
some things just Don`t scale up as you`de ecpect them to :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I would put a thermometer in the oven to test the accuracy. Mine's 20* off so I adjust for everything.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

The pan material and shape can effect the over dark exterior. The oven may be too hot.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
Master Chef

I agree with HalfBaked. I suspect your oven is too hot.

Also, what level was the oven rack? It might have been too high.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I agree with all, my oven is 25 deg. too hot, plus did you use the correct size pan ? maybe a little too small ? I never cook w/out a oven thermometer.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Head Chef

There are basically a million and one reasons why this happens. I have experienced it before too. It can be so frustrating at times. I mostly buy specialty cakes at the bakery to avoid a potential problem when the celebration is dependant on the cake.
No matter how you mixed your cake, sometimes the ingredients will separate during the baking process. I do not know what causes it.
The pumpkin pie recipe is one that often makes more than one or two pies. You have the option here of measuring the leftover filling and using it for pumpkin bread, muffins, pancakes or mixing it with ice cream for a shake.
I would not bake a pound cake in a glass pan because it creates such a thick crust. Making a pound cake is very expensive but I hope you will try it again.
It is better to find a recipe calling for smaller measures than to start dividing this one.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Redding
Recently I made a sour cream pound cake from a recipe. The measures on the recipe were about a 1/3 larger than I was expecting, but I followed the directions and put the batter in the pan. The cake was supposed to cook for 1 1/4 hours to 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees. Fine. I came back at 1 1/4 hours and found that the outside was a deep golden brown, actually pretty perfect. But then when I stuck my toothpick into the cake, it came out all gooey on the inside. I left the cake for another 15 minutes. Came back and it had gotten darker. The toothpick test revealed that the inside still had a way to go. I turned the oven down to 300 degrees and left the cake there for another half hour. When I came back, the top was a bit too dark, but the inside was acceptably finished.

Here's my question: is there something I can do to make sure the cake cooks on the inside without burning on the outside?

I sometimes encounter this problem myself when baking a 7-up cake. The interior DOES get done, but still, the edges of the cake tend to get a little bit too dark.

And mine is in the oven for about 90 minutes as well.

Maybe we should try turning the oven temp down a notch. I think this may preclude the extreme darknes of the cake, but still get the inside of it done.

An oven thermometer could help us keep track of the temp, since it may tend to flutiuate now and then.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I think, as others, your oven is too hot. AND perhaps the recipe is flawed in its temp. I think for a pound cake to cook for 1 1/2 hours, 325* would be the temp.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I thought about that.

Tags
None