How do I keep pound cake from burning on the outside?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen Redding

Assistant Cook
Recently I made a sour cream pound cake from a recipe. The measures on the recipe were about a 1/3 larger than I was expecting, but I followed the directions and put the batter in the pan. The cake was supposed to cook for 1 1/4 hours to 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees. Fine. I came back at 1 1/4 hours and found that the outside was a deep golden brown, actually pretty perfect. But then when I stuck my toothpick into the cake, it came out all gooey on the inside. I left the cake for another 15 minutes. Came back and it had gotten darker. The toothpick test revealed that the inside still had a way to go. I turned the oven down to 300 degrees and left the cake there for another half hour. When I came back, the top was a bit too dark, but the inside was acceptably finished.

Here's my question: is there something I can do to make sure the cake cooks on the inside without burning on the outside?:chef:

no not really, beyond using less mix or getting a large vessel to contain this mix.

those are really the only 2 options you have if the temp is to be taken literaly, perhaps doing it at say 320 or even 300 would have lessend the effect, but may not have turned out as perfect as it should have been.

you have Temp, volume, and mass density to consider, geometry also plays a part too.
some things just Don`t scale up as you`de ecpect them to :)

I would put a thermometer in the oven to test the accuracy. Mine's 20* off so I adjust for everything.

I agree with all, my oven is 25 deg. too hot, plus did you use the correct size pan ? maybe a little too small ? I never cook w/out a oven thermometer.

There are basically a million and one reasons why this happens. I have experienced it before too. It can be so frustrating at times. I mostly buy specialty cakes at the bakery to avoid a potential problem when the celebration is dependant on the cake.
No matter how you mixed your cake, sometimes the ingredients will separate during the baking process. I do not know what causes it.
The pumpkin pie recipe is one that often makes more than one or two pies. You have the option here of measuring the leftover filling and using it for pumpkin bread, muffins, pancakes or mixing it with ice cream for a shake.
I would not bake a pound cake in a glass pan because it creates such a thick crust. Making a pound cake is very expensive but I hope you will try it again.
It is better to find a recipe calling for smaller measures than to start dividing this one.

Stephen Redding said:
Recently I made a sour cream pound cake from a recipe. The measures on the recipe were about a 1/3 larger than I was expecting, but I followed the directions and put the batter in the pan. The cake was supposed to cook for 1 1/4 hours to 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees. Fine. I came back at 1 1/4 hours and found that the outside was a deep golden brown, actually pretty perfect. But then when I stuck my toothpick into the cake, it came out all gooey on the inside. I left the cake for another 15 minutes. Came back and it had gotten darker. The toothpick test revealed that the inside still had a way to go. I turned the oven down to 300 degrees and left the cake there for another half hour. When I came back, the top was a bit too dark, but the inside was acceptably finished.

Here's my question: is there something I can do to make sure the cake cooks on the inside without burning on the outside?:chef:

I sometimes encounter this problem myself when baking a 7-up cake. The interior DOES get done, but still, the edges of the cake tend to get a little bit too dark.

And mine is in the oven for about 90 minutes as well.

Maybe we should try turning the oven temp down a notch. I think this may preclude the extreme darknes of the cake, but still get the inside of it done.

An oven thermometer could help us keep track of the temp, since it may tend to flutiuate now and then.

Last edited:
I think, as others, your oven is too hot. AND perhaps the recipe is flawed in its temp. I think for a pound cake to cook for 1 1/2 hours, 325* would be the temp.

Stephen,
There was a thread on here recently about this very subject. I believe the thread starter/author was uncle bob. You might pick up some tips on that thread. I am not much of a baker unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom