How does fondant taste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
I've only seen it on FoodTV and in some spectacular cake photos posted by DC members.

I don't know where to even BUY it (I assume you buy it, not make it?).

Is it a pleasant thing to eat, or just to look at?

And is it pronounced FON-dant, or the French pronunciation of fon-DAUNT?

I thought I might play around with a birthday cake or two.

Lee

It just tasts like sugar. You can flavor it with extracts. It is nice to look at, I am not crazy about eating it though. And yes to FONdant(FAWN-dawnt).

I LOVE fondant!! It's thick so you can roll it out and lay it on the cake, instead of spreading it everywhere. The chocolate taste like a soft fudge. It picks up the flavors of the extracts very nicely too. It is something that you can make, definately. My sister makes her own. I haven't tried to make it, yet. It seems to take a little more time, but, I think it would be well worth it.

Both my daughters had fondant on their wedding cakes. It is beautiful and the ones the girls had tasted wonderful. I understand it takes practice to work with it and get it on smooth and well decorated, but if you have any flair for decorating it would be fun and worth while to learn to work with it. I do know any cake with fondant will fetch a pretty good price.
kadesma

I don't care for the taste of the Wilton fondant. I've heard from others that the home made stuff is much better. Not sure how to describe the Wilton one, other than kind of like sweet playdough??

It's extremely easy to make, and much more economical than purchased. The taste is very neutral, but if you use a wee bit of flavoring (almond extract or lemon juice) it can be quite palatable.

I think of fondant more like the box in which is the edible cake. In order to cover the cake well, it needs to be quite thick and personally I don't think it's nice to eat.

It's not that hard to work with at all, although there are some tricks of the trade, and in my book, it's the only thing to use if you want/need royal icing decorations.

I'd go with fon-DAN(T) myself ...

It's pronounced Fon dan t here in the UK, but that's probably cos we like to 'murder' French pronounciations, sometimes... My mother in law always insisted on calling the very small green garden peas known as petit pois as pettitt poyes.... I hated to correct her!

I tried fondant once but it was terrible. Kinda like a combination between card board and play dough.

Mr_Dove said:
I tried fondant once but it was terrible. Kinda like a combination between card board and play dough.

In that case, should you get served cake with a fondant exterior, think of it just as the decorative 'box' in which the cake comes: peel it off and shove it to the side of your plate, and just eat the cake within!

You wouldn't be the first one to find it terrible, although I'd still say that freshly made with a hint of lemon it's not bad at all (in very small doses!)

Back
Top Bottom