How is cheesecake made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bob Flowers’ New York Cheesecake

I've been following a particular recipe for many years when making a New York Cheesecake. But recent questions about texture prompted me to do a bit of experimentation in preparation for Mother's Day.

My wife asked me to make her a cheesecake. I did so, but changed the recipe just a bit. I added more moisture and reduced the cooking temperature by about ten degrees. I also increased the cooking time by about ten minutes. The result was the creamiest cheesecake I have ever eaten. I believe it's worth sharing with my friends.

I came up with this recipe as an experimental alteration.

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs.
4 tbs. sugar (I use Splenda)
8 tbs. real butter

Filling:
6 - 8oz. pkgs. cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/8 cups sugar (Splenda for me again)
3 tbs. Cornstarch
1/2 cup milk
3 large eggs.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Melt the butter and combine with the remaining crust ingredients. Spread evenly across the bottom and sides of either a 10 inch round springform pan, or a 9 inch square sprinform pan. Place pan with crust into the freezer for ten minutes.

Place the cream cheese in a large, microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 minute in the microwave to soften. Beat in the remaining ingredients until the filling is silky smooth. This is easier of course with an immersion blender, a mixer, or a wire whisk.

Pour the filling into the pie crust and smooth until the top is evenly distributed and flat. Place into the hot oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then, reduce heat to 180 degrees and bake for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and partially open the oven door. Let the cheescake cool with the oven until it reaches room temperature. Top with your favorite cheescake topping.

This cheesecake is still creamy when chilled before serving. My youngest daughter told me that this was the best cheesecake I'd ever made. My wife echoed the compliment. Last night was a good night. I was able to give my best to my family, and that makes me feel very good indeed. Besides, I now have my very own cheesecake recipe. Hmmmm, which will they carve on my tombstone, "Here lies the Pancake King." Or, "Here lies the Cheesecake King". Or maybe one of my kids will put "Here lies my Dad, the teller of the cheesiest jokes on the planet."

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't like a heavy graham cracker crust so I just butter and dust the pan with Graham cracker crumbs or TJ's ginger snap cookie crumbs.

img_1079936_0_c330f77c1f6d24c331e5066b3f7d8d65.jpg

Last edited:
msmofet said:
I don't like a heavy graham cracker crust so I just butter and dust the pan with Graham cracker crumbs or TJ's ginger snap cookie crumbs.

I'm out of drool rags, MsM. Gorgeous!

I love a gingersnap crust.

Thank you everyone.

Thank you MSM. The picture reminds us all of how much we love a good slice of cheesecake. I just might have to make one for the upcoming holidays. And, I just might try your method of dusting the pan with graham cracker crumbs to make a lighter crust.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you MSM. The picture reminds us all of how much we love a good slice of cheesecake. I just might have to make one for the upcoming holidays. And, I just might try your method of dusting the pan with graham cracker crumbs to make a lighter crust.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thank you cln!!

I like to taste the cheesecake NOT crumbs. PLUS you don't need to mess with the crumb, sugar, melted butter bake steps. And like you say the crust makes the cake really HEAVY and adds a lot more carbs.

S&P, now you're just teasing us. How do you expect me to get through the holidays without making more cheesecake than I should ever make. I know how much it costs to purchase all of the ingredients. My ten inch round cheesecake costs me $19 in ingredients. You guys are trying to break my C.U. account. It's a conspiracy! you haven't been secretly conspiring with my wife, have you?:LOL:

Oh, and that cheesecake looks amazing, just like the other one.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom