HOW TO BAKE in an electric oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafisqui

Assistant Cook
:neutral: NEED DESPERATE HELP S.O.S, bitte hilfe, ayuda, anybody¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

ok, listen up i´ve got this problem with making cakes:
i bought an electric oven specificly a hamilton beach medium sized, its got its temperature,, different baking tweaks such as broil, bake and convection but i cant just make a simple cake I MEAN ITS FRUSTRATING

i use the ingredients you guys would use if you were to cook a cake in a conventional gas oven, 3 eggs, 1 cup of vanilla, 1 cup of butter, 150gr. sugar, 4 cups of all purpose flour and yet i put the cake in the middle of the oven, dont use convection, preheat it at 400 farenheit and then when its in i reduce the temperature to 375f. but it hopelessly fails FAILS, :mad::neutral:,
(oh and the pan in which i drop the mix is cristal, some others use aluminium,)..... so by fail i mean it cooks kind of outside in, raw in the center but burned in the outside, it even pops like a balloon
are there any changes in the recipe ingredients or is there something else you would recommend

PLEASE HELP ME i need your help

does it have a big enough light bulb?

my sisters used to make cakes in those ovens, and you needed to make sure it had a 100 watt light bulb or better or barbie's souffle' would drop into pudding...

lol, i'm lidding. i'm sure (i hope :angel:) someone will come along to help you. asap! heute! ahora!

btw, it's ayudenme, for the infinitive plural. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Burned on the outside and raw on the inside says the oven is too hot. Bake at 325º F since you're using a glass pan.

1 cup of Vanilla??? That's a lot of vanilla, you only need about 1-2 teaspoons.

Lower the oven temp like Andy said.

I probably would have a failure also with cake that includes 1 cup of vanilla and then baked in an oven that starts out with a 400 degree temp. I think 4 cups of flour sounds like a lot of flour for one cake. Maybe a cook book with ingredients and quantities and correct temperature directions would help.

My advice:

1. Get an oven thermometer. Oven thermostats can never be trusted. Even if they're right on they might change with age. You need a secondary means of verifying oven temperature besides the thermostat setting. Oven thermometers are cheap.

2. Try baking a package mix just as an experiment.

thanks a lot mates, i´ll take into account the less temperature setting and its 1 teaspoon of vanilla, sorry my bad, i´ll try a new recipe though, here are the ingredients:

chocolate cake
3/4 cup soft margarine or butter
scant 1 cup superfine sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2tbsp unsweetene3d cocoa

preheat the oven to 325 F. grease an 8-inch/20cm round cake pan,
place the margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, and cocoa in a bowl and beat until just smooth.
spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread the top level. bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until risen and firm to the touch. cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out and finish cooling, then HOPEFULLY eat.

so what do you guys think, :chef:?

Gas v electric, the only difference you need to be concerned about is if it were a convection oven. So long as the thermostat is calibrated, temperature, is temperature.

like others have stated, sounds like it is too hot. the reason it's 'popping" is because of the internal temp getting to hot, and steaming, making AIR that needs to get out.

Go lower, and slower, easy fix.

the new recipe suggestion sound more like a proper cake. Remember, the oven is a tool, and it only does as it's told.

Last edited:
thanks a lot mates, i´ll take into account the less temperature setting and its 1 teaspoon of vanilla, sorry my bad, i´ll try a new recipe though, here are the ingredients:

chocolate cake
3/4 cup soft margarine or butter
scant 1 cup superfine sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2tbsp unsweetene3d cocoa

preheat the oven to 325 F. grease an 8-inch/20cm round cake pan,
place the margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, and cocoa in a bowl and beat until just smooth.
spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread the top level. bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until risen and firm to the touch. cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out and finish cooling, then HOPEFULLY eat.

so what do you guys think, :chef:?
Looks stingy in the cocoa department; 4 tbs might be more better.

I am having the same problems. The cake looks done, when the skewer is stuck in the middle it comes out clean, but as the cake cools it sinks in the middle. I am wits end. I've tested the temperature and it is correct. I preheat the oven and bake at 350F as the recipe calls for. I've tested the baking powder and baking soda for freshness. What else can I do? Should I decrease the temperature to 325?

I am having the same problems. The cake looks done, when the skewer is stuck in the middle it comes out clean, but as the cake cools it sinks in the middle. I am wits end. I've tested the temperature and it is correct. I preheat the oven and bake at 350F as the recipe calls for. I've tested the baking powder and baking soda for freshness. What else can I do? Should I decrease the temperature to 325?

Upon rereading this topic I'm surprised I didn't mention this before. There is an important difference between a gas oven and an electric oven. A gas oven is heated by burning usually natural gas (butane?) or propane (e.g. rural areas). The heat is created by combusting (oxidizing) that gas, and the products of that chemical reaction are heat, carbon dioxide, and water vapor.

An electric oven is heated by running heavy electrical current through a heating element. The principal difference is that a natural gas (or propane) oven differs from an electric oven in that the humidity will be higher inside the gas oven vs. the electric oven.

I suggest you should experiment with placing one or more pots or pans of water in your oven. Since your temperature is more than 212 degrees F the water will heat up and release water vapor inside your electric oven.

That is my only new idea to contribute at this time.

Falling middle can result from a group of causes, but one common one is worth considering. The repeat the obvious, leavening, making powder and baking soda work by producing carbon dioxide bubbles, thus the rise, as the batter and the small bubbles form a spongy mass. If the formation of carbon dioxide is too vigorous, the bubbles can become so large that collapse before the batter becomes hard enough to hold the form. The fault is mostly the bubbles, not the speed of cooking the batter.

It can be on account of just plain too much leavening. Or it can be a mistake in an ingredient that activates the process. Baking soda requires an acid to work, and it works immediately upon exposure to the acid.

Baking powder incorporates ingredients that break down to form the needed acid. If you use too much, there's too much carbon dioxide generated. Most baking powder today is "double-acting", meaning one ingredient becomes active at room temperature and caused one rise, while another is only active in the oven, causing a second rise. If an old recipe meant to use single-rise, or single rise is used where double-rise was intended, the leavening action will be faulty.

You question implies that the recipe includes both baking soda and baking powder. Sometimes, this is done to neutralize acid in another ingredient. Baking powder has the proper balance so that all the acid it generates is consumed by combining with it's soda. If you want neutralize an independent acid, you add a little baking soda. It doesn't contribute much lift, just mostly affects flavor. But you can see how a recipe fault or mistakes in measuring can cause bad things. It's kind of a tricky business using baking soda to balance when you've already got baking powder, since your trying to nail that excess acid so it doesn't alter the action of the baking powder.

Too much baking soda in a recipe where baking powder will be contributing an acid can cause too rapid rise and the fall you're seeing. The baking soda doesn't have enough independent acid to get to work early, so it combines with the soda in the baking powder to cause a heavy reaction when the heat-activated acid in the powder gets to work in the oven. Boom! The cake blows up. (Too much baking soda in a recipe using soda alone is not so much of a rising problem, since the acid will be consumed and the carbon dioxide will stop. It does, however, become a flavor issue.)

Take care in measuring, if you try it again. Make sure the leaveners are completely distributed evenly throughout the mix, so there's no concentration of soda. Don't omit the independent acid. It's there for a reason. If you do omit the acid, omit the baking soda and bump the baking powder up a notch.

And of course, proper temperature and oven position matter, because the timing of when the batter interior is heated determines when part of the rise happens. Middle rack, if not told otherwise. If a cookie sheet is used under the pan, don't make it so big that it hinders the normal convection in the oven.

(If this is a case of trying to increase yield by scaling up the recipe, that's entirely another story, the matter of adjusting time and temperature, which is absolutely necessary for scaling baked goods.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom