How to cream coconut oil instead of butter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chueh

Senior Cook
Some coconut oil recipes instruct to "cream coconut oil and sugar." However, they never mention to use the coconut oil in the liquid form or solid form. Butter can be softened without melting just by leaving it at room temperature, while coconut oil is either liquid or solid above or below 76 degree with very little range of soft solid. The range for softened coconut oil is perhaps only a few degrees.

1. What form should I cream coconut oil; solid or liquid?
2. If solid softened, how do I control the coconut oil to be too liquid or too hard?

Thanks

Good question!

I only recently started using coconut oil, but unfortunately it was at the same time I stopped using sugar, so I can't say from personal experience. However, the one resource I found that mentioned creaming sugar and coconut oil says to use the coconut oil in its solid state. It also suggests whipping the oil just a bit to break it up before adding the sugar.

It's not difficult to cream coconut oil. Just make sure the oil is soild befor you whip it; if your coconut oil is in liquid form, just put it into the refrigerator for few hours till it turns into butter-like texture. When the oil is ready for whipping, just put the oil and sugar into a mixer and let it whip. The mixture will start cream up in around 7 minutes, just make sure the mixing bowl temperature is cool enough so the oil won't melt, you will have creamy coconut oil in around 10 minutes.

You don't need sugar to cream coconut oil, it will cream up any ways if the temperature is right. Just be aware that coconut oil usually will turn liquid around 75 degrees.

You don't need sugar to cream coconut oil, it will cream up any ways if the temperature is right. Just be aware that coconut oil usually will turn liquid around 75 degrees.

The OP is likely making a recipe for cookies or something that requires the sugar and fat to be creamed together.

And yes the fat needs to be in a solid state to do this.

The OP is likely making a recipe for cookies or something that requires the sugar and fat to be creamed together.

And yes the fat needs to be in a solid state to do this.

+1

The sugar and a solid fat being whipped together (creaming) creates a structure with spaces (air bubbles) that expand during baking and enable the dough to rise.

Back
Top Bottom