How to cut cake layers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonr

Senior Cook
Does anyone have a reliable way of cutting cake layers evenly? I just had to throw out a genoise, because when I tried to cut it into three layers, I completely ruined it.

I have tried those contraptions (I bought a professional quality cutter from pastry chef central) but it was completely impossible to use (that's in the trash now too). How do people do it?

You could try a piece of thin and flexible yet sturdy wire, and line it up on the edge of the cake and pull towards you. PA Baker might be able to help you better.

I have read these instructions before. It's easy to say to keep your hand level, but almost impossible (for me) in practice. No matter how steady I try to keep my hand, I always end up mangling my cake layers. I had a high and tall genoise (more than 2 inches) that was baked perfectly and evenly, and I end up completely ruining it.

I dont think you can cut a 2" cake into three layers without it falling apart. If you cut it in half that should work.

Put down chopsticks on each side of the cake as a guide for cutting with a serrated bread knife.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom