How to get chocolate frosting to look dark brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilc

Assistant Cook
Does anyone know how to get chocolate frosting to look dar?

The attached picture is a chocolate ganache, but it is whipped. When I whip or beat chocolate frosting or ganache, it gets lighter in color.

Are cupcake bakeries and bloggers using brown/black food coloring?

I also cannot locate black cocoa.

TIA!

Attachments

• CC_chocolate_squared.jpg
    CC_chocolate_squared.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,402
I agree with Snip, I use a high quality semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate when I want a smooth, dark and shiny ganache. Also, whip with a whisk, not a mixer.

I use a 70- 80 % bitter sweet chocolate, it's darker that milk chocolate and the icing always come out dark if I don't over whip it.

I agree with Snip, I use a high quality semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate when I want a smooth, dark and shiny ganache. Also, whip with a whisk, not a mixer.

And high quality as you said, it gives a better glossy finish :)

Thanks everyone, I always use bittersweet chocolate, but not with a whisk, I'll try that tip!

...which is why I'd prefer not to add even more ;)

Then if you don't want any caffeine, don't make chocolate frosting. Make a butter cream frosting using chocolate almond bark, which I believe is made from synthetic cocoa.

I recently watched a cooking video about making ganache. The cook emphasized that it should be stirred very carefully so no air was incorporated into the chocolate/cream mixture. Would this make a difference in the color?

I recently watched a cooking video about making ganache. The cook emphasized that it should be stirred very carefully so no air was incorporated into the chocolate/cream mixture. Would this make a difference in the color?

Hi subrosa, yes, I believe it must, I've had a few members here suggest to whisk it, but not beat it with my kitchen aid mixer.

Thanks for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom