How to Smooth Icing on Cakes and Cupcakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jihanemo

Assistant Cook
How do you smooth over icing like this? This cake and cupcake icing looks so smooth and perfect. How do I do that? What kind of icing do I use? What utensils?

cupcakes.jpg

cake.jpg

(photo credits: flickr.com)

It looks like fondant... which is really a sheet of icing or some sort that is rolled out and then fitted to the cake.

yup, that is fondant. It's not hard to do, but, you have to keep it a certain temperature to be able to work with it. It's really yummy too. I have not made it, just seen my sister make, so, I will let someone else tell you how.

texas girl seems to be thinking of Poured Fondant which is a smooth cooked cake covering.

The cake covering used above is Rolled Fondant, an uncooked sugarpaste, that is "ready to roll" eg Satin Ice, WIlton, FondeX, Pettinice etc.

Rolled Fondant can be purchased or made from a recipe like:

Rolled Fondant [Wilton US Variation]
¼ c cold water
1 tb unflavored gelatin
½ c light corn syrup
1 ½ tb glycerin
1 ts flavoured extract [or oil to substitute]
2 ts vanilla
2 lb confectioner's sugar
Put almost all sugar in a large bowl. Save about 1-2 c for kneading surface. Make a well in the center of the sugar. Pour the water into a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over it and let set to soften for about 5 minutes. Heat the gelatin mixture slowly until dissolved and clear. DO NOT BOIL. Turn off the heat and add the corn syrup and glycerin, stirring with a small whisk until blended. Add flavoring. Pour into the well of sugar and mix until all the sugar is blended. Knead on a confectioner's sugar surface mixed with a little cornstarch until it is not sticky. Add more than the required 2 lb if necessary. Knead in any color at this point. Shape the mixture into a ball and wrap tightly in a plastic bag and place in an airtight container. Let rest for about 8 hours before rolling out.

The cupcake covering [base and decoration] would be completely Rolled Fondant but the cake is a Rolled Fondant base with gumpaste decorations.

If you haven't done this, before "google" to find "how to.." sites - it is more specialized than buttercream decorating..

Purchased Rolled fondant is the best for a beginner ..

If you want to purchase it, I have seen it in walmart and micheals...At walmart it is in the wedding cake section, part of the craft section....NOT the baking section...It's white, buy food coloring if you want coloring... :)

Yes, that is fondant. It makes a pretty decoration, but I'm not wild about how it tastes. You can dye it and roll it out then cut it to fit your cake/cupcake, etc. Fun to decorate with fondant.

Yes, that is fondant. It makes a pretty decoration, but I'm not wild about how it tastes. You can dye it and roll it out then cut it to fit your cake/cupcake, etc. Fun to decorate with fondant.

I agree with not liking how it tastes, although IMO you can slightly improve it by adding flavor...A positive with that not liking it is I won't eat it so I save some calories :D

I have gotten a similar effect without using fondant by warming up frosting and pouring it over the cake or cupcake a bit at a time. Let it cool completely and you can add any decorations you'd like.

Hi, and thanks for choosing my cake! (Mine is the Tiffany Butterfly cutting cake and cupcakes - the other photo is by a fellow- Australian girl by the name of "Hello Naomi" on flickr)

Both photos are of rolled fondant.

Luckily, here in Australia, our fondant actually tastes pretty nice, but we do have some doozies (but nothing as bad as Wilton!) The best pro-product is Bakels Pettince, with Orchard second. We can also get Satin Ice on ocassion; I haven't used it, but I understand it's not too bad, as fondants go.

You can both colour and flavour rolled and poured fondants successfully with alcohol-based products, but you may need to knead in additional sugar to the rolled fondant, or add less simple syrup to poured fondant, in order to counter the addition of liquids.

Fondant is great to play with - you can achieve some incredible results s- have fun and good luck with it!

Back
Top Bottom