How to tell if cupcake is going to be dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bass_toan

Assistant Cook
Hello all,

I have took up baking to fill up my spare time a few days ago and today has been my 3rd time baking. I have noticed that my batch of cup cakes today was dry compared to other days. I have read that there could be a few factors relating to the problem such as; leaving it in the oven for too long (BTW I use a convection oven as my normal one isn't working). I am wondering if there is a way of telling if the batch is going to be dry from just looking at the mixture and how to rectify it.

Thanks

Toan

If you are using a mix, add two extra tablespoons of cooking oil to the recipe. That will make the cupcakes more moist and tender.

If using a - from-scratch - recipe, again, add an extra tablespoon or two of cooking oil.

The water in the batter can steam out of the cake, leaving you with a dry cupcake that resembles sawdust. Adding the extra oil allows the fat and water to emulsify together due to the egg yolk in the batter. This holds the moisture better, giving you the texture you desire.

Also, abke the cupcakes for a shorter period of time in a convection oven thatn the recipe suggests as the oven transfers heat into the food more efficiently than a regular oven. When the cupcake aroma begins to fill the house, it's probably done. Insert a toothpick into the largest cupcake to tell. When you pull it out, if it comes out without batter on it, you know that your cupcakes have completed cooking.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If it is a scratch recipe, are you measuring the flour properly?

Make sure to fluff the flour, then spoon it into the measuring cup to overflowing and then use the back of a knife or your finger to level it off.

Just scooping from the bag or container can often compact the flour causing you to use too much. Scratch cakes are very sensitive to measurements.

Thanks for the reply! I use scratch recipe and I'll take both of your advices into consideration for my next bake.

Chief Long wood: I prefer to use butter in my baking rather than oil is there a way without oil to hold the moisture?

Toan

Oil will produce a more moist cake. A cake made with butter is best eaten at room temperature, since when chilled it will become stiff. Cakes made with oil remain soft even when chilled.

This cake uses a different style of mixing called the "paste" method. It comes out nice and moist and uses butter. I only use this method now for mixing vanilla/yellow cakes.
Tender White Cake: King Arthur Flour

Thanks for the reply! I use scratch recipe and I'll take both of your advices into consideration for my next bake.

Chief Long wood: I prefer to use butter in my baking rather than oil is there a way without oil to hold the moisture?

Toan

Don't give him a big head.
(referring to his name) :LOL:

pacanis: :D

BakeChef: I guess converting to oil is the way to go...is there a amount of butter to oil rule I should follow? (I'm trying to keep to the recipes in a book I got from my friend) And im guessing normal olive oil for cooking and not some special baking oil?.......Sorry I'm very new.

Last edited:
You should use a neutral flavored oil such as corn, canola or vegetable oils.

Butter is 80% fat so you should reduce the butter measurement by 80% and add that much oil. However, I've seen recipes work with a one to one substitution.

While the oil sub info is correct, over baking is also a possible reason for dryness. As little as one or two minutes of over baking can dry out your cupcakes. Since you said that this recipe is sometimes OK but was dry this time, I'd guess the issue is over baking rather than using butter.

Last edited:
You can do a straight substitute with oil for butter, equal amounts. You can do this in a cake, but not in a cookie.

Olive oil could work, but you will want to use a very light one. I suggest a vegetable oil such as canola, safflower, corn or something else with no flavor, you may end up tasting the olive oil in a delicately flavored cake. Olive oil will perform the same but may taste different.

Back
Top Bottom