Icing for Coconut Lemon Gateau?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dishwater.Hands

Assistant Cook
I have this beautiful cake done but I can't seem to get the icing down right. My second batch is still very granulated.

The recipe:
2c granulated sugar
4tbsp water
pinch of cream of tartar
1 egg white, whisked stiffly.

Heat the sugar, water and cream of tartar until dissolved stirring. Boil to reach 120c/250f on a sugar thermometer. Remove from the heat and when the bubbles subside, whisk in the egg white until thick.

Now, I did this two ways and neither way has worked. I followed the recipe exactly. The first way I did it was stirring the sugar occasionally until it dissolved, on a mid heat setting and I'm sure the cream of tartar caused it to bubble and it didn't carmalize like it would if I hadn't used cream of tartar. I let it settle and then put in the egg white after it was whisked stiffly and whisked until the icing was nice and thick and blended smoothly. It looked lovely-- glossy and light. I tasted it and it had the consistency of wet cement. The other way I did it was not stirring it as much, maybe once before it hit 250f and I had it on a much lower heat. The less stirring and lower heat was the difference the second time and while it didn't turn out as gritty- it's still not the consistency I figured it should be.

Can you think of anything I can do to make this a bit better? It's sorta gross. Or perhaps, I should use a different icing? I was thinking of a light custard sandwiched between the cake.

Last edited:
Try using super fine sugar, otherwise known as castor's sugar or Baking Sugar. Mine comes in a carton like a half gallon of milk. It's still granulated but less than half the size granules as regular table sugar.

I couldn't find super fine sugar for a cordial recipe, so I ran regular sugar through the blender.

See, I was gonna try caster sugar but I wanted to follow the recipe. But after trying a bizarre recipe that called for shortening and caster sugar, I ran out. I ended up taking a recipe that called for whisking egg whites, 1/2 a cup of cornstarch, 3/4 cup of sugar, pinch of salt and 1/3 cup of water in a heat proof bowl over simmering water until it dissolved and then blending on medium until glossy peaks, adding 1/4 tsp of vanilla while blending on low. It came out lovely.

Thanks for the tips, though! :)

(PS Dawgluver-- caster sugar is hard to find where I'm from, but I found it at the bulk barn for a relatively decent price.)

Back
Top Bottom