Icing recipe anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaheen

Senior Cook
i would love to know an icing recipe that has a lot of chocolate but isn't bitter. most recipes i've come across use a lot of sugar.

i also want to know i can make the icing very smooth and consistent. i end up getting a very grainy mixture :(

what is the correct method to put the icing so that looks absolutely smooth?

ya, the icing sugar that i bought was had a very fine texture.. but after adding it to the chocolate it became grainy. is it because i added the melted chocolate when it was warm? how long should i wait if thats the case?

The graniness could be the fault of the chocolate. Posting the recipe will help us help you.

i used this recipe.. it got a good rating so i thought i'd try it, but it didn't work for me..

1/2 cup butter
3 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
1 pound confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk

Melt chocolate and butter in the microwave, or in the top of a double boiler. In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and 1/2 cup of the milk. Blend in the melted chocolate mixture. Add remaining milk, a little at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.
Let stand until spreadable (frosting will thicken as it cools).

If you melted the chocolate and moisture got into it, it could sieze and become grainy and lumpy.

Also, was the sugar, vanilla, milk mixture completely combined (the sugar dissolved) before you added the chocolate?

shaheen05 said:
the entire sugar never seems to melt. is heating it ok? then i'll do that the next time around

You could heat the milk before adding it. That would help dissolve the sugar. Was the choc. smooth when you added it to the other mixture?

Here's a recipe I use for Milk Chocolate Frosting - I don't see why you couldn't follow the same method with your ingredients.

MILK CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 cup heavy cream
pinch table salt
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
10 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup confestioner’s sugar
8 tablespoons unstalted butter, cold, cut into 8 pieces

Heat cream, salt, corn syrup in microwave-safe measuring cup on high til simmering, or bring to a simmer in a small pain over medium heat. Place chocolate in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. With machine running, gradually add the hot cream mixture through the feed tube; process 1 minute after cream has been added. Stop machine; add confectioners’ sugar and process to combine, about 30 seconds. With machine running, add butter through feed tube one piece at a time; process til incorporated and smooth, then about 20 seconds longer. Transfer frosting to a bowl and cool at room temp, stirring frequently, til thick and spreadable, about 1 hour.

shaheen! im hundred percent sure that the icing sugar u r using is the cause of the graininess.i'm telling you this because i've gone through the same problem since i've come back to my country that is pakistan.i was in usa before.i've tried using different brands of confectioners sugar here,but none is that fine which i used to get in usa.because for icings you need veryyyyyyy fine sugar which so far i havent found in pak. the same could be the case in india.i used to make p[erfect choc cakes in usa.now when i use the exact same recipe here,the frosting is not the same.it is grainy.i think we better use the recipes that cook sugar,so that it no longer stays grainy.but i miss my old recipe.it was the best.

Back
Top Bottom