"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The pastry blenders that have blades instead of wires allow the ingredients to get clogged.
I have to disagree with you on this one Addie. I have a wonderful pastry blender with blades that never gets clogged up. Neither do the blades bend the way my old wire one used to do. I think it likely depends on the quality of the blender you use. My wire one was kind of cheap (came in a basket of items at my bridal shower) and this one was from a friend who makes lots of pastry. He knows his stuff and swore this was the best one he'd ever used. He didn't lie.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one Addie. I have a wonderful pastry blender with blades that never gets clogged up. Neither do the blades bend the way my old wire one used to do. I think it likely depends on the quality of the blender you use. My wire one was kind of cheap (came in a basket of items at my bridal shower) and this one was from a friend who makes lots of pastry. He knows his stuff and swore this was the best one he'd ever used. He didn't lie.
What's special about your blade pastry blender? Could you post a photo?

My blade pastry blender gets clogged. When I had a wire one, the wires went every which way, so I chucked it.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Everymom

I don't think there is anything particularly special about it. I can't even find a brand name on it. It's made a LOT of pie crust though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 26.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	13867  
Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I don't think there is anything particularly special about it. I can't even find a brand name on it. It's made a LOT of pie crust though!
The difference in yours is that the blades are far enough apart and there is enough room between your knuckles and the blades so that was product comes up through the blades, it falls out easily. It doesn't build up. A lot of the ones with blades are much smaller.

My wire one does goes array at times. But when it does, the product falls out and like yours the handle is high enough so that when the product does start to build up, it falls over on its own. One of the reasons I love it has nothing to do with performance. It is the age of the item. I bought it at a large yard sale. The woman was breaking up her mothers home. There were a lot of items that I remember my mother using. And this wire one with the green handle was just like hers. My mother had hers since before WWII. I had to have it. It has served me well. And I like to think the women who had it before me knows that it is being used with love. The tradition carries on.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I have three of those "old-fashioned" wire kind. They don't get clogged, but I've had to replace the screw on one of them several times.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have three of those "old-fashioned" wire kind. They don't get clogged, but I've had to replace the screw on one of them several times.
Plug the screw hole with wooden matches or toothpicks. Break off the ends and then put a screw in.

You gotta luv those old antique kitchen tools. Sure they make better ones today, but they have no history or love to go with them.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
Everymom

Gravy Queen, I'm so sorry! I hijacked your thread!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
Sous Chef

'' Icing sugar (confectioners sugar) drives me bonkers. The stuff just gets everywhere. ''
White flour and cocao have the same effect too. If are not careful while pouring them, clouds of white or brown go up and get everywhere.

''I took advantage of the sunny weather and took my cake making into the garden...''
It's a good thing the bees didnt notice. ;)
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
That's the one I have, I wrecked too many wire ones. I tend to do the same to wire whisks so I got some sturdy Vollrath ones.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
That looks exactly like mine, right down to not showing a brand name. I had also decided to get a good one. It doesn't clog up right away, but I always take out a knife to unclog it when I use it.

Maybe it's down to technique.

Tags
icing, sugar