In honor of my new Granddaughter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
In honor of my new granddaughter, Makenna, I give you Makenna's Chocolate-Hazlenut Cake Frosting.

Ingredients:
2 sticks of unsweetened butter, softened
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 tbs. vanilla extract
1/3 cup dutched cocoa powder
3 tbs, water
18 oz. Nutella Hazlenut spread

Combine the confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and water in a small sauce pan. Heat and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, making a thin syrup. Remove from heat. Place the butter into a large bowl. Add the syrup and stir until completely combined. Add the cocoa powder and whisk with a balloon whisk until smooth and creamy. Add the Nuttella and blend with a whisk until completely combined, and creamy.

I created this in honor of Makenna, and put it on a chocolate-mayonaise cake for her Daddy's birthday. There was left over frosting. The cake was a huge success. Everyone raved about the frosting. At a Sunday get together 2 days later, the frosting was broken out and everyone ate it with graham crackers. My S.I.L.'s mother Walked up to me and told me I could make frosting for her anytime. This frosting came out very good. The texture was exceptionally smooth. I think besides the wonderful Nutella/chocolate flavor, dissolving the confectioner's sugar in water removed that powdery texture normally associated with frosting. It was exceptional before adding the Nutella. It was better afterwards.

Oh, and I just eyballed the conffectioneer's sugar until it looked like the right amount. I think it was about two cups worth. you might have to adjust that part.

In the words of an old Alka-Seltzer comercial, and I quote, "Try it . You'll like it."

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Congrats, GW!! What a wonderfully melodious name for your new granddaughter. Let's hope that Nutella outlives her children, your great-grands. In the meantime, I'm reminded of another breakfast cereal commercial, "Mikey likes it!"

It sounds delicious. DH would eat it with a spoon.

Is "dutched" a cooking term, or did you mean "Dutch"?

Duch chocolate is chocolate that has been treated with an alkali to remove the oils and neutralize the acids from the cocoa powder. It mixes better with liquids and requires baking powder in recipes to give teh require acid ingredient to work with the base, giving off carbon dioxide to leaven the mix/batter. As frosting needs no leavening, I prefer to use dutch cocoa as it blends in easier than pure cocoa.

At least, that's my understanding of how dutch cocoa works.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom