"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2019, 02:59 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
pengyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beijing
Posts: 404
Inconsistent results with chocolate cake?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17...late-cake-iii/ I use this recipe to make a wonderful chocolate cake from scratch. About 70% of the time it comes out perfect and the other 30% of the time it is too heavy or so light that it starts to fall apart when I am cutting. Any ideas of what is causing this?

__________________

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,448
First thought that comes to mind is your flour. Perhaps most times you are stirring/aerating it just right and other times too much or not enough. I always use a big whisk to stir my flour well before measuring out.

Only other factor I can think of is the humidity that day.
I'm afraid I'm not enough of a baker to help you other than those thoughts which probably aren't right, just what comes to mind first.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Silversage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 927
The most common reasons for the inconsistency would be one of the following. Without more information we can't give you one specific reason.


1. Measurements - whether you dip n scoop, spoon in the cup, or weigh your flour, it will come out different.


2. Temperature of ingredients - eggs and other liquids act differently if they are warm or cold.


3. Age of leavener - baking powder and baking soda lose potency over time.


4. Mixing - over or under mixing can cause problems.
__________________
In our house, dog hair is a condiment!
OMG! I decided to blog!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cake, chocolate

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×