"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda123 View Post
I am so glad to see this recipe listed but I have had terrible luck with making it for the past several years....after I add the milk and flour mixture to the sugar and butter mixture, the icing "separates" and it looks awful! I've experimented with higher/lower fat margarenes, all butter, whole milk, 2% milk....I made this frosting for years without any problems and now, it's so ugly, I hate to make it - but all my sons insist it tastes the same and want it for their birthdays. Why is this happening and what can I do to make it nice and fluffy again?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Linda
Here is an optional butter cream frosting that is light and fluffy, very tasty. No flour/milk mixture. I also switch 1 1/2 cup crisco, 1 1/2 stick butter. It's a little richer, less greasy..
2 cups Crisco Shortening
1 stick Butter, slightly soft but not mushy
1/4 to 1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tsp. clear vanilla extract ( Clear vanilla would color the icing and is found at cakeware stores. You can also use almond extract, which is clear or regular vanilla extract.)
2 pounds powdered sugar ----- 8 cups, sifted

In your mixer bowl, beat the shortening until it's smooth, add the butter and cream together until smooth and light and fluffy. Add 1/4 cup of the heavy cream and the vanilla and mix well.

Add half the powdered sugar and mix for 5 minutes on low-med. speed. Add remaining sugar and mix well. Add more cream if necessary to adjust the consistency. If you want a more dense buttercream, then only mix and be done. For a lighter one, beat the buttercream on a low - med. speed for about another 10 minutes.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:35 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Thanks, Jeff, but my sons insist they want the flour-mixture icing.....

Old 06-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
I am so glad to see this recipe listed but I have had terrible luck with making it for the past several years....after I add the milk and flour mixture to the sugar and butter mixture, the icing "separates" and it looks awful! I've experimented with higher/lower fat margarenes, all butter, whole milk, 2% milk....I made this frosting for years without any problems and now, it's so ugly, I hate to make it - but all my sons insist it tastes the same and want it for their birthdays. Why is this happening and what can I do to make it nice and fluffy again?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Linda
I'm at a loss here Iíve never had that happen before.

When you are measuring your flour do you pack the flour into the tablespoon? I always mash the flour into the spoon and pack it down well so that I will get a good thick mixture when I cook the milk. Try that and see if it helps.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I've tried it with slightly less flour and slightly more. The flour/sugar mixture thickens nicely every time.

The first time it failed (several years ago), I was using Blue Bonnet margarene. I had been using that brand exclusively. The margarene advertised "lower fat", so I blamed the failure on the Brand. The next time, I used Mrs. Filbert's margarene (with a higher fat content) and it worked for a couple years....I did't notice Mrs. Filbert's package marked as less/lower fat. But, even when I use real butter, it doesn't work.

I tried it this weekend, with Butter Flavored Crisco...it "almost" broke up but I just didn't like the flavor....

Thanks for your suggestion, Betty.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
I've tried it with slightly less flour and slightly more. The flour/sugar mixture thickens nicely every time.

The first time it failed (several years ago), I was using Blue Bonnet margarene. I had been using that brand exclusively. The margarene advertised "lower fat", so I blamed the failure on the Brand. The next time, I used Mrs. Filbert's margarene (with a higher fat content) and it worked for a couple years....I did't notice Mrs. Filbert's package marked as less/lower fat. But, even when I use real butter, it doesn't work.

I tried it this weekend, with Butter Flavored Crisco...it "almost" broke up but I just didn't like the flavor....

Thanks for your suggestion, Betty.
When you say flour/sugar mixture do you mean that you are cooking the sugar in with the flour and milk? Because if you are that is your problem.

This is how I do mine and I've never had it break.

Frosting Instructions:
Cook until thick- flour and milk, cool completely.

Beat until creamy (about 4 minutes) - shortening, butter, sugar, vanilla. Add milk and flour mixture a little at a time and beat well.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
Old 06-30-2008, 06:53 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I cook mine like yours - flour and milk and let it cool completely (it's always nice and thick) - and add that to the butter/sugar mixture, a little at a time and by the time I add the vanilla, the whole mixture is breaking up.

what brand of butter do you use? And when you say "shortning" are you using Crisco? I use 2 sticks of butter and 2 cups of granulated sugar - no shortning. Do you use whole milk?

I made this exact recipe for years and years with no problems but it's just not working now! i don't understand it....

Thanks, Betty, for your help.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
what brand of butter do you use?

WalMart's brand.

Quote:
And when you say "shortning" are you using Crisco? Do you use whole milk?
Yes, Crisco and I keep the can in the frig so it's nice and firm when I beat it in. Since they changed the formula for the shortening to get rid of the trans fats itís so limp that I have started keeping my shortening in the frig.

Butter in the US is 20% water...it's not pure fat like shortening so it's not going to hold up as well as shortening; that's probably where you are having your trouble.

The flavor will be a bit different using half shortening and there will be a slightly different mouth feel but it should hold together better.

And I do use whole milk because that's what we drink but I really don't think that would make any difference.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I'll try to give it a try in a week or two. I just made a cake using all butter-flavored Crisco so we aren't quite ready for another one yet. Thanks for your help.

Linda
Old 06-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Your welcome, I just hope it works out for you.
Betty

Tags
None