"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 11-16-2007, 03:08 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Interested in making a Red Cake

Hello everyone...

I have been doing some reading on here and on the Internet. Well I came up with a recipe that got my attention and I'm considering the idea as my husband just loves it. I wanted to know if there was anyone here who's made one before and if they wouldn't mind sharing their recipe with me. Also, I noticed while I was reading through a few of the recipes there were some statements being mentioned about placing wax paper on the bottom of the round pans.

Now this brings me to a question. I remember watching Alton Brown at one point when he had shown something how you could fold wax paper then cut it to get that perfect circle. I'm wondering if there is a better way to go about doing this? I'm also curious about the butter frosting. Does anyone have a particular favorite that they've used which they would like to share? I have always used the store bought but I would love to make my own.

I'm starting to explore the kitchen more and really enjoying it. My husband picked up a good set of whisks for me to use and a good a set of cooking tongs that have the scissor type handles. I figured the least I could do is look for a recipe to use them with.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:47 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Won't comment on anything other than the butter icing. We have ever only used a mix of icing sugar and butter with colouring and flavourings added. We tended to just stick to chocolate, coffee or mocha. Sometimes may put some alcohol like Cointreau into the mix but that is as daring as we ever got. The only real thing I insist on is that real butter is used and not a margarine or fake butter. You can really taste the difference. Just sift the icing sugar into the beaten (whipped might be the more appropriate term) butter and add the flavour/colouring. As we always did one of the three flavours above, we always pre-mixed the cocoa and/or coffee powders in a bit of warm water first.

I always had a four-tier chocolate sponge cake with chocolate butter icing in between the layers for my birthdays as a child. The top icing varied though between glace and butter icings.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
Executive Chef

It's not necessary to use any tools to make parchment disks other than a marker and a scissor. Trace the bottom of the pan with the marker onto the parchment. Cut the circle out. It doesn't get any easire than that.

Red cakes or red velvet cake is easy enough providing you use food paste, not typical food colouring. You need something with an extreme concentration of colour. If you use food colouring, you'll get a pink cake if you don't use enough food colouring. Using a paste gives you a much more vibrant colour.

As for the butter icing, use unsalted butter, excellent quality vanilla extract and 10X.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Here's the Red Velvet I use. I've made it in layers and in a 9x13. Never made a bad one.
Southern Red Velvet Cake Recipe: Recipes: Food Network
Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I made this cake once and it is delicious - my only advice - if you are serving this cake to children be very careful - little crumbs stain - I know this from experience.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
LOL she's right!!

I made it for my daughter's 1st b-day last year. I shoulda put a tarp down!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Traditional red velvet cake uses vinegar to make the red color, not food coloring. Either way will work.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Traditional red velvet cake uses vinegar to make the red color, not food coloring. Wither way will work.
oh this is interesting. I have my great grandmothers' recipe for Devils' food cake and I kept thinking this is the same cake. Here's her recipe

1/2 c. cocoa
1/2 cup hot water
2 level teaspoons soda
1 Tablespoon Vinegar

Cream 1 3/4 cups white sugar, 3/4 cup butter, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup buttermilk, 2 1/2 cups flour.

Add above to this mixture. Mix well. Bake until done. (don't you love it?). Top with carmel icing.

I have made this cake and it is quite good. Unfortunately the carmel icing recipe was not passed along too. I made one up and it was quite a yummy combo.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I have been using this recipe since I found it posted on Copykats and I have gotten so many rave reviews that I'll never use another recipe.

EASY RED VELVET CAKE
posted 06-19-2003 by acountrycook on Copykat.com

1-BOX BUTTER (DH) recipe cake mix
1 teaspoons soda
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 stick of butter- softened
Mix dry ingredients together, cut in butter.

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vinegar
Put vinegar into measuring cup then add enough milk to make one cup, let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.

1 bottle red food coloring
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Add wet ingredients to dry and beat 4 minutes. Bake at 325 for 25 to 30 minutes .... makes 3 (9-inch)layer

Frosting:
4-1/2 Tbs. flour
1-1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. butter
1-1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Frosting Instructions:
Cook until thick- flour and milk, cool completely.

Beat until creamy (about 4 minutes) - shortening, butter, sugar, vanilla. Add milk and flour mixture a little at a time and beat well.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I have a problem with this Red Velvet Frosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post

Frosting:
4-1/2 Tbs. flour
1-1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. butter
1-1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Frosting Instructions:
Cook until thick- flour and milk, cool completely.

Beat until creamy (about 4 minutes) - shortening, butter, sugar, vanilla. Add milk and flour mixture a little at a time and beat well.

I am so glad to see this recipe listed but I have had terrible luck with making it for the past several years....after I add the milk and flour mixture to the sugar and butter mixture, the icing "separates" and it looks awful! I've experimented with higher/lower fat margarenes, all butter, whole milk, 2% milk....I made this frosting for years without any problems and now, it's so ugly, I hate to make it - but all my sons insist it tastes the same and want it for their birthdays. Why is this happening and what can I do to make it nice and fluffy again?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Linda

Tags
None