I have made this both in a loaf pan as a bread and in a 9x9 baking dish as a cake. reduce the baking time to @ 40 minutes if you bake is as a cake.
Brown Sugar Banana Nut Bread
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar plus extra for topping
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 very ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans) plus extra for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition.
4. Stir in vanilla and banana, combine well.
5. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
6. Blend the banana mixture into the flour mixture; stir just to combine.
7. Fold in the nuts.
8. Pour batter into prepared pan, spread out if needed to fill the pan and level.
9. Sprinkle additional brown sugar and nuts on top of the loaf.
10. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, OR until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.