ISO a good cake for halloween

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For All Hallows Eve, I think it is more in the decoration of the cake than the cake itself. A box yellow cake mix can become something spectacular if decorated properly.

For All Hallows Eve, I think it is more in the decoration of the cake than the cake itself. A box yellow cake mix can become something spectacular if decorated properly.

Oh thanks, can I have a recipe of that please??

This recipe that I posted a couple of years ago would be a good choice for a Halloween dessert. After it is cooled and frosted scatter some candy corn over the top.

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Pumpkin bars/cake[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Ingredients[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]2 cups AP flour[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]11/2 cups granulated sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]1/2t salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]2 t baking powder[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]2 t ground cinnamon[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]1 t baking soda[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]1/4t ground cloves[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]4 eggs beaten[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]1 16 ounce can of solid pack pumpkin (you may also use two cups of thick mashed or pureed pumpkin, winter squash, sweet potato or carrots.)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]1 cup of canola oil[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]½ cup of chopped walnuts[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]½ cup of raisins*[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Combine dry ingredients.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Stir in eggs, pumpkin and oil.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Add nuts and raisins.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Spread batter into ungreased pan and bake.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Test with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]For bars bake in a 10x15x1 inch pan for approx... 25 – 30 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]For cake bake in a 9x13 pan for approximately 35 -40 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]For 9 inch layers grease and flour the pans and bake for 35 – 40 minutes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]When cool spank with powdered sugar or frost with cream cheese frosting.

*Omit the raisins and sprinkle the frosted bars with mini chocolate chips if you are feeding a group of kids.

Good luck!
[/FONT]

You also could just make a regular spice cake, using either a mix or a recipe, even a carrot cake would be good. Or, you could make a yellow cake and stir in Halloween sprinkles, i.e. a confetti cake.

I've decorated many cakes over the years, but the ones that went over the best were some I made for 1 of my daughter's parties in her teen years, cupcakes. They were decorated in several different ways.

Pumpkin patch, using the little pumpkins made out of the candy corn stuff, green frosting grass using the hair/grass decorating tip.

Pumpkin, orange frosting, candy corn to make the eyes, nose, and teeth, black gel icing to outline the mouth.

Ghosts, dark blue or colored black chocolate frosting. Ghosts made out of melted white chocolate and cut out while cool enough to form shape, but not cool enough to crack while cutting. I stood the ghosts upright.

Night sky, Dark blue frosting, moon out of melted white chocolate, stars out of slightly tinted yellow white chocolate, though I might use sugar or isomalt for the stars now. I'd definitely use some luster dust for the stars though regardless.

Black cat, green grass frosting, chocolate cat or decorated cookie with an arched back standing up. You could also throw a pumpkin or 2 depending on size of cat you make, or maybe some bone shapes either piped or cut out of chocolate. Maybe a tombstone.

Spider, green grass frosting. I piped a body, added red eyes, and piped chocolate for legs so they'd stand up. You could also use the Royal icing for this, though now I'd probably use melted, dyed black sugar or isomalt for the legs now, or maybe modeling chocolate.

I did a witch on a broom with a moon too, but I don't remember whether I used a template to pipe or cut her out of chocolate, but either would work.

You could also use Royal icing instead of chocolate for any of the ones I mentioned using chocolate.

They make a lot more candies now that could be used for decorating than they did when DD was a teen, eyeballs, bugs, etc.

Last edited:
medtran's ideas reminded me of this simple witch cake from the folks at Baker's coconut.

20100070178-12.jpg

Years ago we used many of the simple ideas from booklets like this one to make inexpensive birthday cakes and holidays.

https://archive.lib.msu.edu/DMC/sliker/msuspcsbs_bakc_franklinba17/msuspcsbs_bakc_franklinba17.pdf

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom