ISO Apple Crumb Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MochaBean04

Senior Cook
there probably is a thread about this already but does anyone have a really good recipe for apple crumb cake? i have a craving for it now since its fall and you guys have awesome recipes on here so i wanted to ask :) thanks in advance

Here's one I had in my files (sorry about the spacing--I couldn't get it to cooperate!):

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]1 (18.25 ounce) package
yellow cake mix
[/size][/font]
1/2 cup vegetable oil
6 apples - peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant
vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease
and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.

In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix and instant
pudding mix. Add the eggs, sour cream and oil, mix until well blended. In a small bowl combine the sugar, cinnamon and walnuts.

Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan, then
place a layer of sliced apples over the batter and sprinkle
with half of the cinnamon walnut mixture. Pour the
remaining batter over the top and repeat with the remaining apples and cinnamon walnut mixture.

Bake for 60 to 70 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool
for 1/2 hour before removing from pan to cool completely.

That looks delish!. My neighbor always likes the Southern Living apple cake for his birthday which is this month. I think this is close enough to fool him. It does have a brown sugar glaze. Would it be overkill to use the glaze? He is in rehab for a broken hip. We will be gone for his birthday so I will make it this week and take to him.

check this out! I've been dying to try it out!

Moist Apple-Walnut Crumb Cake
2 cups all-pupose baking flour

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon table salt
6 TBS unsalted butter, softened at room temp
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs at room temp
3/4 cup applesauce
1 cup sour cream
Walnut topping (recipe following)

Heat the oven to 350F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment and butter the parchment.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt to blend.
Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined (but not fluffy), scraping the bowl as needed, about 30 seconds. Add the eggs, one at a time until combined and scraping the bowl as needed.
Add about one-third of the flour mixture, mixing on medium-low until combined. Add the applesauce and mix until combined. Add another third of the flour mixture, then the sour cream, then the remaining flour mixture, mixing after each addition until just incorporated. Don't overmix. Scrape batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
Bake until the edges of the cake a slightly set and the rest is very jiggly, about 15 minutes. Scatter the walnut topping evenly over the cake and bake until the crumbs are golden brown, the center of the cake springs back when touched, and a toothpick inserted in the center has a few moist crumbs sticking to it, 30-35 minutes; check the cake early and if the crumbs are golden but the cake isn't fully baked, cover loosely with foil. Let cool on rack for at least 20 minutes. Serve warm
Walnut topping:
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Melt the butter in a medium bowl in the microwave. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon and stir until well blended. Add the remaining ingredients, mixing with your fingers until it's well combined; the mixture should be crumbly but also clump together. Refrigerate until ready to use.

thanks guys therse look sooo good! I cant wait to make them. . i just need to go apple picking before i can bake anything with apples. . .lol thanks again

Back
Top Bottom