ISO Black out cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie24

Senior Cook
Hi i'm looking for a recipe for black out cake that is like the one Entenmanns makes. They dont have it in my area :mad: and i would like to try to make it.

Hi Debbie ~ Here is my recipe for Blackout Cake. It is moist, dark and a favorite with family and friends. I have made it with the ganache frosting, but have also baked it in a bundt pan and frosted it with a simple chocolate glaze.

BLACKOUT CAKE
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) butter, softened
3 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/3 cups boiling water

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Dust with flour and tap out excess.

2. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well blended. Add chocolate and beat 1 to 2 minuts.

3. Mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to chocolate mixture in two additons alternately with buttermilk. Beat until well blended. With mixer on low speed, add boining water and beat until smooh (batter will be thin). Pour batter into propared pans.

4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 to 15 minutes then unmold onto racks and let cool completely.

5. Cover a cake layer with a little more than one third of ganache frosting (recipe follows). Set second cake layer on top. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining ganache. If desired, press sliced, toasted almonds onto side of cake. Refrigerate cake 3 to 4 hours or until ganache is firm before serving. Serves 12 to 16 people.

CHOCOLATE GANACHE FROSTING
18 ounces (3 cups) of semisweet chocolate chips OR bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter, cut up
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. In a 2 quart glass bowl, combine chocolate chips and cream. Heat in microwave on high for 3 minutes or until melted and smooth when stirred. Stir in butter and vanilla.

2. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until ganache holds its shape and is thick enough to spread on cake.

oh thank you both for responding.

amber thank you i found that one searching the internet but there was no feedback on it and i like to try things that someone else atleast tried and liked.

auntieshelly looks simple and delicious. Thanks

My BIL is an Entenmann's blackout cake addict. He served it at his wedding reception!

For years, I rummaged through the Entenmann's cakes in the supermarket hoping to find one, but they only made it seasonally and then they stopped making them altogether.

I have made this Gale Gand Blackout Cake recipe many times. It's pretty simple and tastes wonderful. He loves it, though it has a more homemade taste (obviously) than Entenmann's.

Edited to add that this recipe is like the Entenmann's in that it has 3 layers with chocolate pudding between, with a pudding "frosting" and cake crumb coating.

Last edited:
Half Baked said:
How did this cake gets it's name? I've never heard of it before.

It was invented by Ebinger's bakery in Brooklyn and has something to do with the required blackouts of Brooklyn during WW2 (big Navy Yard there) but I am not entirely sure of the details.

auntieshelly said:
Hi Debbie ~ Here is my recipe for Blackout Cake. It is moist, dark and a favorite with family and friends. I have made it with the ganache frosting, but have also baked it in a bundt pan and frosted it with a simple chocolate glaze.

BLACKOUT CAKE
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) butter, softened
3 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/3 cups boiling water

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Dust with flour and tap out excess.

2. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well blended. Add chocolate and beat 1 to 2 minuts.

3. Mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to chocolate mixture in two additons alternately with buttermilk. Beat until well blended. With mixer on low speed, add boining water and beat until smooh (batter will be thin). Pour batter into propared pans.

4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 to 15 minutes then unmold onto racks and let cool completely.

5. Cover a cake layer with a little more than one third of ganache frosting (recipe follows). Set second cake layer on top. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining ganache. If desired, press sliced, toasted almonds onto side of cake. Refrigerate cake 3 to 4 hours or until ganache is firm before serving. Serves 12 to 16 people.

CHOCOLATE GANACHE FROSTING
18 ounces (3 cups) of semisweet chocolate chips OR bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter, cut up
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. In a 2 quart glass bowl, combine chocolate chips and cream. Heat in microwave on high for 3 minutes or until melted and smooth when stirred. Stir in butter and vanilla.

2. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until ganache holds its shape and is thick enough to spread on cake.

auntieshelly, this sounds like the recipe for a cake that has been in my family for a couple of generations. The only real difference is that, instead of the boiling water, we use the same amount of boiling strong coffee. The coffee flavor doesn't necessarily come through forcefully, what happens is that the cake comes out nearly coal black and moist, moist, moist.

Thanks, Katie, for the hint about substituting hot coffee for hot water in the Black-Out Cake. I will give it a try the next time I bake the cake. Sounds soooooooo good!!!

Back
Top Bottom