"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 11-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO cake decorating tips

I got a cake decorating set for my birthday this year and now I need to figure out how to use it. Any tips on making my cake look spectacular? (Or at least to prevent me from screwing it up)?

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

take a class at a local wilton supplier (joan fabrics here as well as a michaels give lessons)

i bought all the supplies, and found no talent for it what so ever. gave it away. i did do classes but it moved to fast for me. so guess it is me, the cake, and sprinkles. lol

Old 11-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Master Chef

Keep your icings cool. Don't decorate it in a warm area.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Senior Cook

If you're like me, you need visual aides, so check out youtube...
Old 11-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
I got a cake decorating set for my birthday this year and now I need to figure out how to use it. Any tips on making my cake look spectacular? (Or at least to prevent me from screwing it up)?
If you were closer, I'd give you lessons!

What all came with your set? Tips? Pastry bags? Parchment? Food colors? Any type of booklet or pamphlet to show you how to use whatever came with your set?

Is there a recipe in there for "practice icing"??? It's edible, but the difference is you can practice with it, pipe all sorts of borders, flowers, etc., and then scrape it up and use it and reuse it for a long time.

As already posted, if there is a Joanne's or Michael's near you, they usually offer Wilton's cake decorating classes. For that matter, you can also go to Wilton's website where they sell videos on their cake decorating method. You may also want to check the yellow pages for your area and look under cake decorating supply stores or cake decorating supplies and phone those places as they are usually owned by people in the cake and candy profession and often offer classes as well. Those are more personal than Joanne's or Michael's because you can get more one on one attention. The instructor's at J's and M's are on a tight schedule and do not have the time for individual attention as you would find in a private store.

The key, however, is practice, practice, practice. Just have fun with it and don't beat yourself up. I've been doing this for over 35 years and STILL get nervous when making a wedding cake!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
If you're like me, you need visual aides, so check out youtube...
Brilliant! I hadn't even thought of that!

Guinevere, it is just a basic kit. I think it has five tips. leaf tip, big star, little star, small plain round (I'm just making these names up), and large plain round. It does have a booklet, but I figured if I could get some specifics here it would be helpful. The books can be so general! I'd totally take lessons from you if I could too!

Old 11-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
I think it has five tips. leaf tip, big star, little star, small plain round (I'm just making these names up).....
Well, B'sgirl, for making those names up, you are spot on!! That is exactly what we call them in the industry (tho we can get more technical and place a number along with it, i.e., a #2 round). The kit you received is pretty much what I thought it would be, and the tips are quite the ones frequently used in cake decorating! You'd be surprised at what you can do with just those few!

Check that booklet that came with your set and see if there is a recipe in there for the "practice icing" I mentioned to you. If not, I will get that off to you. As I said, while it is perfectly edible, it holds up to being used, scraped up and reused for what seems to be forever!

Also, when you pipe your designs, hold the bag at a 45 degree angle. When you "write" on your goodies, use a thinner icing in order that your penmanship freely flows from the bag. You can thin the same icing you used to frost the cake, or, you can use other types of icing, gels, etc.

You can also use those tips, along with a firmer icing, and decorate cookies for the holidays! If you would like a recipe for that type of icing, let me know.

You may also want to invest a few dollars and purchase a lazy susan, which will turn the cake for you rather than you stopping the flow of your design, turn the cake, start piping, stop.you get the idea! You do not need to get anything fancy here. At WallyWorld you can pick up a plastic one for under $5. That's all you'll need for now and should you pursue this you can always go bigger and better.

If you need any other help or ideas or have questions or run into problems you can PM me, as i would be glad to help you out as much as I can via this route!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Thanks! That is really helpful! I would love your practice icing recipe. The only recipe in my manual is for "buttercream icing". I'm not sure if that's what I've used in the past or not.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEEN-GUINEVERE View Post
At WallyWorld you can pick up a plastic one for under $5.
Just wanted to add as I recently posted something along these lines...In wallyworld, do not go to the kitchen section, go to the wedding section which was in the crafts sections. They had all sorts of cake stuff cheap :)
Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
Head Chef

Take a class at Michael's or anywhere you see one. It helps to watch others and to practice practice practice

Tags
None